CH 16

Good God, he's even more beautiful than before. Derek hadn't thought that possible. The young man stood close enough that Derek became intoxicated by the aromatic scent of shampoo and musk deodorant. His senses went wild as he imagined burying his face in the boy's neck and breathing him in, asphyxiated by his fragrance.

Control yourself—now is not the time.

He resisted the instinct to wrap his arm protectively around Patrick. For Derek, it was the most natural move. But Patrick was not an ordinary boy. Touching him at this moment could be detrimental and send him running in the wrong direction. Patrick had come close to him of his own free will. It was best to let him continue making those moves himself.

Patrick's father stared at his son, his emotions boiling over. "I forbid you to keep company with this filthy... flesh peddler."

Flesh peddler? Derek tensed; did the man know he was a porn star? How? His fears escalated as he glanced at Patrick. The boy held his father's eyes—unfazed. Did Patrick know? Again—how?

Revealing his career choice to Patrick had been Derek's greatest worry. That anxiety wavered some as Patrick appeared unaffected by his father's use of the term. How was that possible? He figured if anything would send Patrick on his way—it was Derek's porn status.

Had he slipped into an alternate dimension?

"I'm not a child, Dad," Patrick whispered. "You can't forbid anything." He stood up to his dad, but his voice trembled, betraying his inner fear that maybe—somehow—the man could force him to submit to his will.

Not gonna happen, baby.

His father shifted his focus to Derek. "You think you're helping him? You're not. If you care at all about his emotional and spiritual well-being, you'll walk away now and never see him again."

"He asked me here," Derek said. "If he wants me to leave, I'll go. Otherwise, I'm staying." His eyes darted between Patrick's dad and the young man Derek assumed was Brian. "He has enough people in his life trying to make his decisions for him."

"You can't possibly understand the situation," Brian spoke with a calm, non-threatening tone. Genuine concern reflected in his eyes. As pissed as Derek was at the guy, he nevertheless sensed sincere care for Patrick.

"Why is that?" Derek asked.

"Because..." Brian faltered slightly, then forged ahead. "Because you don't understand the spiritual ramifications. People like you—"

"People like me?" Derek interjected. "What does that mean? You don't know me."

Brian swallowed, showing signs of intimidation. That was good. "I just meant, what does someone in your... line of work... know about spiritual matters? About the importance of resisting temptation and sin? Or about God, for that matter?"

"You think I don't know about God? I know more than you think, and I have a much better mentor than Patrick clearly has with either of you."

"If you cared about the things of God," Patrick's dad stepped in, "you wouldn't be what you are."

Derek laughed low. "You think this is the worst thing a person can be?" He shook his head. "No. In my opinion, the worst thing I could be is a bigoted hypocrite. A narcissistic bigoted hypocrite because you clearly only care about what you want and don't give a damn what you're doing to your own son."

"Don't you dare speak to me that way." He glared at Derek, his tone chipped with ice. "You know nothing about myself or my son."

"Is that so?" Derek stared him down. "Here's what I do know." He looked at Patrick who remained silent through this tense exchange, frozen in place, face pinched with anxiety and uncertainty. "When Patrick felt afraid—he reached out to me. Someone he barely knows. He didn't go to you. Either of you. The two people who should be the strongest rocks in his life. If you weren't so consumed by your own twisted agenda—maybe you would realize that there's something fucking wrong with this picture."