CHAPTER FOUR: CHIEF OF SURGERY

The gates appeared in the distance, an ominous collection of barbed wire walls and sharp metal spikes. The darkness accentuated its twisted beauty, the moonlight glinting on the guard's weapons.

"Welcome to base," Luke said, his voice tight.

I studied him from the corner of my eye, wondering what unnerved him. Not that I blamed him since I was so nervous myself. This whole situation seemed so...off. There were too many loose ends, so many things that didn't make sense. But, I didn't really have any other options.

The gravel crunched under the wheels of the car as Luke pulled to a stop in front of the black gates. A young man in traditional military garb raised his gun as he stepped up to our window. Recognizing Luke, he lowered it and smiled.

"Hey, Falls. You're back early. We figured you wouldn't be in until closer to midnight." He rested his hand on the top of the car, clutching the rifle with his other. "We've been waiting for the runners all d--whoa." He flinched when he saw me. "Sorry," he said to me, holding his free hand up. "Didn't realize Falls had brought back a, uh...friend."

Luke tightened his grip on the wheel, his body still turned to face the man. "Thanks, Walters. I've got it from here."

"But I need to radio you in to get clearance. It's protocol," he reminded Luke, seemingly eager to please.

Luke let out a short breath and nodded. "Do what you gotta do, man." He obviously didn't want to get radioed in. Tired of red tape or avoiding admin?

The man--Walters-- gave me a once-over. His eyes darted nervously between me and Luke as he fumbled for his radio clipped on his belt. "Um, what's the civvie's name? She'll have to get special clearance from the Colonel if she's coming in."

"Elizabeth," Luke said before I could answer. He gave me a subtle shake of his head, but the message was clear: don't say anything. I didn't understand why, but I wasn't going to push it. "And let Stewart know that I vouch for her."

Walters looked stunned, nodding and pressing the side button of his walkie-talkie. He stepped away before muttering out a clearance code, too soft for me to hear.

"It's for security purposes," Luke explained. "That way if the gate guards are incapacitated, the enemies can't radio themselves in."

I wanted to ask what happened if they did find out the code, but Luke was too focused on watching Walters. "Is there something going on here? I just have a weird feeling." My voice was barely above a whisper.

Luke just shrugged and moved the gear shift into drive. "Yo, Walters, are we good?"

The man drifted back over, still chittering into his walkie. "Of course, sir. Over." He replaced his radio neatly into his belt, smoothing out the rumpled fabric of his fatigues. "Yes, but you need to stop by admin. The Colonel wants a word with you." Walters hesitated, shifting back and forth before speaking. "Just a warning, he didn't sound too happy." He glanced around nervously, as if someone would overhear. "Just thought you should know."

Luke huffed a curse under his breath. "Not surprised, but thanks for the heads-up." He released the brake and we started drifting forward.

"Wait," cried Walters. "The Colonel wants you to bring her, too."

Luke stuck his hand out the window in acknowledgement and we slid through the gates.

The inside of the base was pretty; all brick and arranged in small little villages. There were a few buildings clustered together away from what I presumed to be residences.