CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR: THE WHOLE SCRUB TEAM

I groaned as someone shook me awake the next morning. No light met my squinted eyes as I peed them open. After a long yawn, I stretched out like a cat. "What time is it?"

"Too early," Leo complained. "I haven't been up this early since I was a resident."

My back was very stiff. A night on the floor will do that to you. It seemed that none of us had made it to a bed last night. Oliver laid asleep on the floor, Leo rubbing his eyes a few feet away. I twisted my spine, resulting in a satisfying crack.

"Nice," Warner commented as he breezed by me. "Sounds like my hips after a good workout."

"Warner," I exclaimed, catching his ankle. "You're okay."

He laughed, shaking off my grip. "Yeah, cripple. I'm whole and everything." He yawned. "I won;t be for much longer unless I get some coffee."

Oliver rolled over, his voice low and raspy from sleep. "Did someone say coffee?"

I tried to stand up, forgetting my ankle for a moment. As soon as I took a step, it gave out on my and I went down hard.

"You good there, darlin'?" Luke asked, offering a hand to help me up.

"My pride is more wounded than my ankle," I admitted, offering him a smile. "I'm glad you're okay."

He winked. "I always make it out somehow. Right now, it looks like you're the one with the injury. Have you gotten it checked out yet?"

I shook my head. "Not yet. I haven't had the time." Luke helped me to the couch, and I collapsed with a flop. "Nor the supplies to wrap it."

"We've got about 15 minutes until we have to leave for the Colonel's office. Do you have any supplies to wrap it here?"

"Bathroom cabinet on the left," I said, and Luke took off down the hall. I called out a thank you, receiving a thumbs up in reply.

Oliver rubbed his eyes as he sat next to me. "Want me to wrap your ankle?"

I was conflicted. Would this be a sort of peace offering? An olive branch to atone for the chaos recently. I could probably do it fine by myself, but he offered.

I nodded. "That would be really nice. Thank you."

"Of course." We were so stiff, so awkward and formal. This wasn't the Oliver that I was used to, the one that I loved. The one that I joked with and made fun of, the one that made me laugh so hard that I couldn't breath. This Oliver was someone that I didn't recognize. Had I changed that much? Did he still recognize me?

Luke's smile was infectious as he bounded back to me, juggling a collection of medical tapes and bandages. "You have half the clinic in there, darlin'. I just grabbed what I could." His smile faltered at the sight of Oliver and I couldn't blame him one bit.

"Thank you, Luke." I tried to catch his eye. "Really. This is perfect."

He nodded and set the supplies next to me. "I'll let you guys take care of that."

I wanted to call out to him, tell him to stay. But how could I? It wasn't fair to him, to Oliver.

I hated the tension between us. The last we left off, things were different, better. Now, I didn't know where we stood. What my relationship was with him. It was so complicated. I didn't even know where to start.

Was an apology enough? How could I say to him sorry I didn't tell you that I have a fiancee and led you on. I was falling in love with you too but now I have been reunited with the person I promised to marry. Now my emotions are so convoluted that I don't know what to think. I like you but I don't know if I am over Oliver.? That wouldn't be fair for anyone involved, but it was the truth.