CHAPTER FIVE: A QUIET BOARD

I arrived at the clinic with my lovely escort. It was a small brick building with a few windows, the blinds not quite completely sealed and leaking golden light into the dark. The glass door was propped open with a stray brick that I nearly stubbed my toe on as we entered.

An older woman with dark skin and rich brown hair sat at a desktop computer, her frantic typing making loud clacking sounds. Her head shot up as we walked in, her brows furrowing in confusion before she made the connection.

"Hello, hello." She jumped out of her chair and circled around her desk to greet me. "You must be our new addition, dear. What's your name?"

"I'm Elizabeth." I shook her outstretched hand. "I assume you're Marge?"

"Right as rain, honey. I run the desk here in the clinic. Making sure we have the patients' charts, staff, that kind of stuff. Tell me, do you have any medical experience?"

"I'm a doctor," I told her.

"Really? But you're so young." Marge waved over another woman maybe a few years older than me with deep auburn hair. "Elise, come meet Elizabeth." Elise removed her nitrile gloves before coming over to introduce herself. Marge added excitedly, "Elizabeth is a doctor."

Elise gave a sigh of relief. "We could use you around here. The nurses are all overworked and we're unfamiliar with some of the diagnoses."

"Of course," I said, smiling. "I'll do whatever I can to help."

"Elise'll show you the ropes and you'll be good to go in no time, doll." Marge gave me a quick smile before rushing to the desk to pick up her buzzing radio. After listening to a quick report, Marge turned to my escort. "Rogers, sir, Private Warner is outside."

Rogers huffed. "About time." He held out a hand towards the door, motioning for me to go outside. "Lead the way."

I rolled my eyes, taking a moment to thank Elise and Marge before I left. "I'll be back in the morning," I promised. Despite being thrown into such an unknown situation, I was glad that there was something constant. I knew how to be a doctor. I knew how to treat patients and sign charts. I didn't know how to protect my family and get back home.

Outside, a man in fatigues leaned against the wall, fiddling with the items strapped onto his hip. He was much younger than I originally thought, maybe even younger than my brother. Probably the beginning of college, still growing out of his babyface. Blonde hair stuck up on his head, too long to be a buzzcut. Seemed to be a theme around this place.

The soldier--Private Warner--snapped to attention. "Rogers, sir."

Rogers waved dismissively. I didn't know much about military ranking, but it was obvious that there was some sort of hierarchy. The Colonel appeared to be at the top of the food chain while someone like Private Warner was towards the bottom. I wagered that Rogers fell somewhere in the middle and asserted all of the power that he could.

"She's your responsibility now. I expect a full report. If you mess up, I'll take you straight to the Colonel," Rogers said, a bored but serious look on his face. "He is not as forgiving as I am."

Private Warner's blue eyes widened and he nodded quickly. He snapped into another salute before Rogers walked off, muttering about menial tasks.

Private Warner grabbed my hand, shaking it fervently. "Hi, I'm Ian. I'm going to take you to where we live here at the base." So young and so eager to please. My heart ached. His idealism only reminded me of my little brother and he wasn't in any capacity to do anything right now. "Let's go." He gestured forward.

"Elizabeth Hunter," I said with a smile.

Despite letting me go first, Private Warner--Ian--quickly took over the lead since I had no idea where I was going. As we walked, the previous day's and night's events caught up with me. I was absolutely exhausted.