CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE: SIGN OFF

With a variety of maneuvering, I heaved myself over the center barrier, flopping onto the driver's seat in a heap.

"Can you see?" I asked Ian, arranging myself into a better position.

"A little, you've got a better view."

I rolled down the window and stuck my head out into the warm night air. Warner and Luke were talking with the gate man, the former colliding with him in a bro-hug. The soldier at the gate shrugged to a question, casting a long look at the path of cars. He pointed to his radio. Luke and Warner frantically gestured, pointing back and nearly jumping up and down.

"What's going on?" Ian was nearly on top of me trying to get a better look.

"I don't know. Something's going on with the guy's radio."

"It's protocol to call something like this in." Ian backed off, retreating to his seat. "They're probably asking to leave the Colonel out of it."

"Let's hope they do for now. But there's no avoiding it." I flopped back in the chair, letting my eyes rest for a moment. When I opened them, I habitually checked the rearview. "Ian," I nearly shouted, hitting him on the shoulder. "The infected have caught up."

"I know they like sound, but we need Luke and Warner's attention." Ian reached across me and slammed his fist down on the horn.

Luke and Warner whirled around, raising their hands in question.

"Infected," I shouted. "They've caught back up."

Warner yelled at the guard so loud that I could hear from four cars back. "Listen, man. That is a goddamn horde of infected. Let us in or we're all going to die."

The guard shook his head angrily but opened the gate. He spoke into his radio and the gates swung wide open.

The cars in front of us zoomed into the compound. I pushed myself back into the back, unable to drive due to my ankle. Ian jumped into my spot and rushed us forward. Warner and Luke didn't bother to get in when we reached them.

"We're going to keep fending them off," Luke explained quickly. "That was the deal. We'll be inside as soon as we can."

"Luke, I--" I started.

"Go," he said forcefully. "Please, darlin'. I don't want you to get hurt." He patted Ian on the cheek. "Take care of her."

Ian nodded. "Watch each other's backs out there."

"See you on the flipside," Luke said, turning away quickly to accept a long gun. He flexed his bad shoulder, the pain affecting his reach, but he took the gun anyway as he readied himself to shoot.

Ian drove off reluctantly, and I pressed my face into the cold glass. I just got them back. I can't lose them again. I won't.

"We can't do anything, Lizzi," Ian said sadly. "We have to let them."

"But I want to help them." I couldn't bear to tear my eyes away.

Luke and Warner were armed to the teeth, decked out with a long gun and a few smaller weapons. They were too far, the darkness too heavy to distinguish more than scarce metallic flashes in the night.

Gunshots rang out, and I flinched in tandem with each one. Ian abruptly hit the breaks, jerking me towards the center of the car. A wave of dizziness swam through my body as my ankle collided with the seats. After a moment, the urge to pass out faded. Woozily, I brought myself to my knees and leaned heavily against the side of Ian's seat.

"What's going on?" The lights ahead were blinding.

"I think the Colonel found us." Ian popped open the driver's door to get a closer look. "It's definitely night patrol." He circled around to open the door for me, scooping me up into his arms. "If they haven't called the Colonel yet, they're about to."