CHAPTER THIRTEEN: CONTINGENCY PLAN

That afternoon, my steps were purposeful as I strode up to the admin building. The Colonel was finally about to get the lip lashing he deserved. The closer I got to his office, the more my resolve faded. I came to one conclusion: this was a bad idea.

Not that I was surprised. I seemed to be making some terrible decisions lately. At this point, I was setting personal best records for my poor choices. I didn't know if I was impressed at my own ability to not care or if I was extremely disappointed in what I'd done. Either way, I decided not to dwell on it for long. There were much more pressing issues.

"Are you ready?" Ian fell into step with me, our footsteps the only sounds in the quiet hall.

I forced a smile. "Of course."

He saw right through my act, but clapped me on the back anyway. "I love the confidence."

And confident I would have to be. Fake it until I make it. Show the Colonel that I wasn't afraid of him, even if I really was. I just had to be brave. In the absence of fear, I could be neither brave nor afraid. Fear makes us stronger.

"You can do it, Lizzi. Remember, you're doing this for Luke and Warner." Ian reached out and gave my hand a tight squeeze.

"I'm not just doing it for them. This is something that I need to do for myself," I said, thinking about why I was even here. I was doing this to help my friends, but also to prove something to myself. "I want to do what I can. For everyone."

"So you've decided to stay?" Ian wasn't subtle.

"Depends on the meeting." I smirked. "We might be running a rescue mission."

Ian bit down on his excitement. "Ready?" He knocked on the ominous oak door.

"Enter," the Colonel's voice boomed through the heavy wood.

He stood as we entered, his face momentarily shocked before smoothing into indifference. "Private Warner and Dr. Hunter." Not a question, but he certainly asked it like one. His eyes darted to the clock mounted on his wall before gesturing us in. "Speak."

Here goes nothing. The sad part was that it was true. I had nothing to lose at this point and so much to gain.

I didn't bother to sit. "I think you know what I want."

The Colonel raised a brow. "Do I?"

"Where's Luke? And Warner?" I leaned my hands against his desk, getting all up in his impassive face.

"I believe Warner is standing just behind you." The Colonel relaxed in his chair. "As for Luke, he is simply doing his job."

"Cut the convoluted bullshit. That's not what I meant and you know it." I leaned closer. "You want to know what I know? That you killed Laura Jackson. How do you think that the rest of the base will react when they find out you've been killing innocents?"

Blackmail. Not where I intended to go but certainly effective.

The Colonel darted up. "Warner, out." He thrust his hand at the door, his words leaving no room for argument. Ian shot me a nervous look but subordinated to the command. When the door shut with a sharp click, the Colonel rounded the desk, stalking closer to me. "I don't know where you heard that information, but if it leaves your mouth again, you'll find yourself without the ability to speak."

He would kill me or cut out my tongue. Lovely. But I couldn't back out now. My heart raced. I pushed back my terrified tears and kept my face as neutral as I could.

"You push these threats at me, but I know you won't capitalize. You need me."

The Colonel tossed his head back, laughing. "I don't need you. I don't need anyone. You are disposable, Dr. Hunter. Here as a convenience. Don't think that I can't procure another doctor. Who's to say that your arrival here was merely coincidental?"