CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: TANGO

She led us through the hospital like a useless tour guide. No explanations of what things were, just a face pace cutting through hidden shortcuts and stairwells. It made me dizzy.

Elizabeth's gaze critically scanned the walls, reading signs and noting spatial landmarks. "Why are you taking us to the surgical ICU? It's nowhere close to the back exit."

She was right. We had been headed up and towards the front of the building rather than back towards the exits. I presumed that we were avoiding some unknown foe wandering the lower halls.

Lindsay huffed. "So much for the surprise. There's someone that wants to meet you all." She flicked her long red hair over her shoulder as she kept stalking forward, revealing an earpiece I hadn't noticed before. Someone was giving her orders, a real boss. Nonetheless, her goons followed her orders, keeping their semi-automatics trained on us.

We came to a sharp stop at a set of frosted glass doors flanked by a pair of men in dark jeans and flannels. I cared more about their accessories than their outfits. Wicked knives hung from their belt, matching guns clutched in their hands.

White letters spelled out Intensive Care Unit, Surgical. Elizabeth was right. I flicked an eyebrow at her, a silent question of what she thought would happen. Her eyes darted from mine, an intense evaluation of Lindsay. She subtly shrugged, a vain declaration of I don't know.

Lindsay addressed the guards with an extra sway of her hips. "Hello, darlings." The younger man watched her lithe movements, an animal with his prey. If only he knew that he was falling for her trap.

"I see you brought back some friends," the older man said. His face, creased with lines, surveyed us with scrutiny. An iron look at Lindsay. "Have you not learned the rules from last time?"

Ian covered a shocked laugh with a cough. I was inclined to do the same. It was nice to see someone in charge get knocked down a few pegs. Yet, the man seemed to be commenting on our presence. We were in more danger, now at the mercy of a mystery.

Lindsay shot Ian a dirty look, but made no other comment to him. "I was doing as I was told. Following orders as you like to call it." A toss of her red waves, more insulting than anything she could have said. "You are not privy to everything that she wants."

A she. Who was this woman and what did she want with us? How did she even know about us? Was this a targeted attack or were we simply victims of opportunity?

"And you are?" The younger man scoffed. "That's likely."

Lindsay pulled the earpiece out, tossing it to him. "Ask her yourself if you don't believe me."

One glance at the earpiece seemed to tell him everything he needed to know. The older man spoke up. "Fine, go in. Your companions will have to wait outside."

"A valid request. Yet, I need one for negotiation purposes. Keep the others for collateral." She ran prying eyes over our group. "I'm torn," she confided, elbowing the younger guard conspiratorially. "The girl with the wicked tongue or the raven-haired soldier?"

Elizabeth stepped in front of me protectively, the guns whipping to her. "Take me. He's injured." My heart clenched. The second time she'd saved me in the past few hours.

"Elizabeth," I whispered. "Don't."

Lindsay wasn't oblivious to our exchange, her lips widening into a broad smile. "What fun. A little bit of drama and romance all wrapped up into one. How valiant of a knight she is." She let out a soft laugh. "Then, I must be obligated to steal the one in distress." She jerked her head forward, "Him."

The guards seized me, gripping my arms tightly. I struggled against them, but one dug his fingers into my wound, forcing me to my knees.

"Stop," Elizabeth screamed. "You're hurting him. Please." Her voice broke on the last word. I forced myself to look up, to meet her eyes. She pushed against her captor, but I gave her a soft shake of my head. I'll be fine, I mouthed.