CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: TRAUMA

I woke to the rumbling of an engine, my head pounding with every revolution of the wheels. A soft mass shifted under my head, moving to support me.

"Easy, El. You took a pretty hard hit." I opened my eyes to slits, the light filtering in the windows too bright for my newly conscious brain. Warner cast an anxious look at the men watching us, Mike, Dig, and someone I didn't recognize.

Two more people sat in the front seat, their profiles barely visible through the privacy screen erected between them and us.

Them and us. I guess there are always sides, no matter where you are. If you stand your ground, there will always be someone who comes along to take you down. A little macabre for my tastes, but when do I ever get what I want?

"How long was I out?" I ignored Warner's cautioning, though it was good advice. Doctors tend to make the worst patients so I hoped he didn't fault me too much. That and the fact we'd been kidnapped, but I guess that's a small thing.

He braced a hand on the small of my back, his other on the floor as he guided me upright. "Only an hour or so. Felt like ages without all your bitchin', though."

I gave him a not-so-nice gesture even as my head pounded, forcing me to press a hand to my forehead. "Over an hour? That long?" I groaned, eliciting the attention of everyone in the car.

"Sleeping beauty has been awoken by her prince it seems," crooned Mike. "Rest up, doll. You'll need your strength for our meeting with the boss later."

His words were backhandedly reassuring. At least I had some time to pull myself together. Warner was less convinced, his corded muscles rippling under my body.

"Who will we be meeting with?" Warner braved. Direct, but we weren't really supposed to talk to them. At least, not if we wanted to avoid a violent interaction.

Mike shrugged, the other man and Dig shaking their heads. "You'll see."

A rougher voice called out from the front, "You're headed to the CDC in Atlanta. We got contacts there."

Why the CDC? There were so many hospitals that were closer. If I had to wager a guess, it was probably overrun with infected too. We lucked out in Charlotte, but it was still messy. Atlanta was a commuter city so it may not be horrible, but it would still be a disaster. Not that Savannah would be any better.

My home was Savannah, I knew that. Why did I want to go back to the base so badly? For the safety and security maybe. More so for the people.

Atlanta wasn't close to Savannah, but it was a hell of a lot closer to Savannah than Charlotte. I might have a chance to get to my hometown hospital. A chance to see my friends and family. A chance to see Oliver.

Oliver. My heart ached at the thought of him. I didn't know where we stood. If he was even alive. If he would forgive me for the kiss. If I even wanted his forgiveness.

Was I so eager to end my engagement? This pandemic certainly made me rethink my priorites. Not everything with Oliver was bad. Sure, we fought and said things we didn't mean. Did things we shouldn't of. But we still loved each other. And our love was enough. Wasn't it?

I didn't know. I hated not knowing. Ignorance is bliss, my ass. It was better to know and surrender than to fight for something imaginary. I had to make a choice eventually. I needed the facts first.

The windows of the van were blacked out with paint, preventing me from tracking our progress. Judging by the speed, we were on the highway. Unsurprising given the distance we still had to travel.

My stomach churned at the thought of arriving at our destination. I was afraid of what would be waiting there for us. Friends or foes. I prayed for the former, but mentally prepared for the latter.