CHAPTER ELEVEN: MALPRACTICE

I woke up with a wicked hangover. My head pounded as I sat up, disoriented. An incredibly fun night, but incredibly huge consequences. My body was covered in bruises that ached with every step. Paintball will do that to you.

No regrets. I was tired of following the rules and doing just enough to get by. I wanted to be someone, to have fun, to make an impact. To live, not simply exist.

It seemed living meant sleeping the whole morning away since it was already two in the afternoon. I rushed over to the clinic, pulling my hair into a ponytail as I ran. I finally mastered the route to the clinic, but it took a lot of thinking and some time to get there.

I breezed in, breathless. You know it was late if Marge was already at the desk.

"Hello, doll. You look like you had quite an evenin'." She pursed her lips as my visible bruises on my arms. "Hope it was worth it."

"It was," I said back, tugging on a lab coat. "What have you got for me?"

"Just a patient in exam one. Maybe you'll have time to peek at those cultures."

I nodded as I scanned through the chart, making mental notes on the case. I could check the cultures, but I don't know how much good it would do. They weren't ready yet and my knowledge on viruses and bacteria was very basic, just enough to get me through med school and know how to treat them.

Viruses weren't living because they had no cell wall or a metabolism. Capsids invaded host cells and caused sickness. No antibiotics could treat them. Vaccines worked, but they took forever to develop. Treat the symptoms and hope for the best. At least bacteria could be killed with a strong antibiotic. Would continuing to stare at a microscope field really change any of that?

So, I would focus on what I could control. Treating patients and keeping myself together.

----

Luke came knocking around seven, greeting Marge with a big smile. "My two favorite people. What a coincidence they're in the same place."

I rolled my eyes, but Marge gave him a big smile. She turned to me and whispered loudly, "this one's a keeper."

"Ready for our adventure tonight?" He said with a pointed look.

I was confused. What adventure? I flicked up my brows. "Sure?" I said, unsure.

Luke's face fell, but he shook it off quickly. "Great. Let's go. We're on a time crunch." He dragged me out of the clinic, his walking pace nearly running.

"What are we doing, Luke? Where are we going?"

"I can't believe you forgot." He stopped abruptly. "We made a whole plan and everything."

Suddenly, it dawned on me. "Oh, the Colo---" Luke cut me off by covering my mouth with his hand.

In a whisper, he confirmed, "Yes, the event that involves the entrance into a certain official's office."

My stomach felt sick. I didn't want to go back on my word, but I was starting to doubt this whole plan. Yet, I really did need the phone. I wanted to call Oliver to make sure that he was okay and figure out a way home. Even if I wasn't pressed to leave for the moment. Plus, a phone call could help me with the virus issues. If I could get in touch with someone at my hospital, they could really help me figure out a treatment plan. Maybe I could even call an epidemiologist.

I tried to convince myself the whole way to the Colonel's office, but I just couldn't shake that off feeling. Something was wrong.

"This is a bad idea," I whispered to Luke. "Like a really bad one."