29. Unspoken Feelings

chapter twenty nine / unspoken feelings

"On a scale of one to ten, how beautiful?"

   "You really shouldn't rate girls by numbers, you know.."

   "Can you at least describe them for me? Pretty please?"

   "No, Atticus," Cassie finally snapped, her head laying on an open book in front of her. She had been attempting to study in the library by herself until Cedric had found his way over, which, in turn, brought over Atticus by default. The two boys had been exchanging their bets on whether the Veela coming from Beauxbatons were pretty or ultra-pretty. "No, Cedric cannot describe them for you. No, they're not even pretty, they're just enchanting, and no, you cannot stay here. I'm trying to study–"

   Atticus held out a hand to keep her from shouting, but nodded his head. "I'll stay quiet," he promised, before picking up a book and leafing through it. Cassie watched him expectantly for a moment when, after barely ten seconds, he sighed and dropped the book into his lap. "Maybe I'll just go."

   "Fine by me," Cassie mumbled, turning her attention back to her book. Cedric waved to Atticus and, as soon as Atticus was out of earshot, sunk into the seat next to Cassie fervently.

   "Listen," he whispered urgently. "Atticus isn't doing well, okay? He's– he's got a lot going on, at home and.. and mentally, I guess–"

   "Then why doesn't he talk to me about it?" retorted Cassie, keeping her eyes on her book. "Why be so bloody bothersome?"

   "His dad's pissed at him, Cass," said Cedric, rather seriously. "And.. I'm sure it's not my place to tell you, but you're related to him, and I'm worried, so... he's got some sort of Muggle– thing–"

   "What is it?" asked Cassie, suddenly fully invested in the conversation at hand. She looked up at Cedric. "Is– is he–"

   "Stop cutting me off," he said. "No, it's not.. it's an illness, a health thing. It's called– D– disgecsia? Didlexia? Dislegs–"

   "Dyslexia." Cassie pursed her lips. She'd read about the disorder briefly once before, but she didn't know much about it. Only that it wouldn't kill him, fortunately. "What does that mean?"

   "He said it.. messes with his brain, when he tries to read and write, I think." Cedric furrowed his brow in thought, then shook his head. "Look, what I'm trying to say is... his stepmother was right pissed when he got diagnosed with it. Said he was tainting their pureblood with Muggleness, something or other. It was horrible. Atticus wrote to me right after it happened. I'm pretty sure he was nearly kicked from the house."

   Cassie sat in silence, staring blankly ahead as Cedric's words sunk in. Atticus's stepmother nearly disowned him for something he couldn't even help? How on earth was that fair? Suddenly, Cassie's blood boiled with rage and she stood quickly.