9. Antipathy and its Consequences

chapter nine / antipathy and its consequences

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG for Cassie to recognize the cold shoulder that Ron and Harry were giving Hermione, which was how she knew it was bad.

     She hadn't thought much of it at first glance, but when the boys greeted Cassie warmly and scooted over to make room for her on the couch, but acted as though the spot where Hermione stood was completely empty, she realized something was wrong. Hermione ran out of the common room choking back tears, and Cassie rounded on the boys, confused and furious.

"What the hell is going on?" she said. "Why are you two being so rude? She almost combusted on the spot when I suggested coming to the common room, and I doubt it was because of Fred and George."

Ron and Harry shared a glance before turning back to her and shrugging, as though they had no idea what was the matter.

Cassie glared at them both. "Harry, I swear to Merlin, if this is about your stupid broom—"

"Stupid!?" sputtered Ron, and he gaped at her with his mouth open. "Did you just call a bloody Firebolt stupid?"

She lifted her chin. "I did, in fact, because—"

"Can you believe her, Harry?" Ron interrupted, furious. 

Cassie flared her nostrils. She stood from the couch suddenly and rounded on the boys, pointing her finger in their faces to emphasize her point. "Interrupt me again, Ron, and you won't live to see the Firebolt in action," she said, narrowing her eyes at him. "As I was saying: I don't think the Firebolt is stupid! I think it's foolish you're letting it get in the way this friendship! I just... I just supposed you two would value this friendship a little more than a broomstick," she finished, scathingly. She picked up her book and hit both of them on the back of the head before walking upstairs to comfort Hermione.

When she got to the dorm room, though, Hermione didn't seem as though she was in need of comfort. She sat precariously on Cassie's bed, holding the mirror shard again, staring deeply into it. Cassie raised her eyebrows and walked over, sitting across from her.

"Is there a reason you're so interested in my Christmas present?"

Hermione exhaled a sigh. "I promise you, Cassie. I saw someone else in here."

Cassie rolled her eyes and pulled the mirror from Hermione's hands. "Look, I'm sorry about Ron and Harry. They're being gits. Hopefully, I talked some sense into them," she said, biting her lip. "I think you were being smart, turning that broom in. If it was sent by Black, it was most certainly charmed to throw Harry off, or something."

Hermione's eyes lit up and she smiled at Cassie. "Thank you," she said. "I'm sure they'll come around; this isn't the first time they've hated me."