6. A Grim Hogsmeade Trip

chapter six / a grim hogsmeade trip

                                 LIKE A FLIP HAD BEEN SWITCHED, THE ENTIRE SCHOOL WAS ON EDGE. Harry, the poor kid, looked like he would crack at any moment, under the stress of classes, Sirius Black, and (worst of all), Quidditch. Oliver Wood chased him down any minute he could find and went on rambles about techniques for beating Cedric at finding the snitch. Harry had learned to just ignore him.

     One sunny day, Harry, Ron, and Cassie were walking from Hagrid's hut to their next class, when Oliver cornered them and began listing off strategies. Cassie glared at him, but he didn't even notice. He rambled on and on until Cassie realized they'd been ten minutes late for class. The three excused themselves from Oliver's lecturing and rushed off. Luckily, it was just her father's class.

     Except, when they arrived, sitting behind her father's desk was the unwelcome body of Professor Snape. His black eyes glanced up as the door slammed open, and he tutted.

     "This lesson began ten minutes ago, you three, so I think we'll make it ten points from Gryffindor. Each. Sit down."

While Cassie and Ron moved over to their desks, Harry stayed put, a determined glare in his eyes. "Where's Professor Lupin?"

      Cassie lifted her head. "Harry, it's—"

     "He's feeling too ill to teach today," Snape replied, ignoring Cassie. "I believe I told you to sit down."

    "Drop it, Harry," Cassie whispered, hoping he would listen.

     Alas, he wouldn't. "What's wrong with him?"

     "Nothing life-threatening. Five more points from Gryffindor, and if I have to ask again, it will be fifty. Sit."

     Harry walked slowly to his seat and sat, never taking his eyes off of Snape. Cassie buried her face in her hands.

     Snape stood, spreading his hands across the desk and leaning into it. "As I was saying before these three interrupted, Professor Lupin has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far—"

     "Please, sir, we've done boggarts, Red Caps, kappas, and grindylows," Hermione informed him.

"When'd she get here?" Ron whispered to Cassie, bewildered.

Hermione ignored Ron, her hand still in the air as she spoke to Snape. "And we're just about to start—"

"Be quiet," said Snape coldly. "I did not ask for information; I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin's lack of organization."