69. Property of the Half-Blood Prince

CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE;

PROPERTY OF THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

At breakfast was the distribution of this year's times-tables for all of the sixth years. It was much more tedious than prior years, as Professor Mcgonagall had to first confirm that everybody had achieved the necessary O.W.L. grades to continue with their chosen N.E.W.T.s. Hermione was one of the first students to be cleared; she received her schedule with all of her preferred courses, and she shot off to first period Ancient Runes without so much as a goodbye. Neville took a bit longer to sort out. In the end, he managed Herbology, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Charms.

Next, Professor Mcgonagall turned to Cassie, who managed a nervous smile to her teacher. "Black," said Mcgonagall under her breath, shaking her head as she read over Cassie's chosen courses. Frown lines took place on her forehead and she almost seemed displeased for a moment, before nodding shortly. "Good work. Five O.W.L.s – one less, and you would have had to choose another job path.."

Cassie managed to keep her eyes from flickering to Harry, who had only managed four O.W.L.s.

"I am sorry to say that Professor Binns will not be seeing you in his class this year," said Professor Mcgonagall, though she didn't seem sorry at all – neither was Cassie, who was ecstatic to have freed herself from the boring binds that were History of Magic.

A few minutes later, Cassie, Ron, and Harry left the Great Hall, comparing their class schedules. "I've got Divination after lunch," she said, frowning because she would miss out on a free period with Ron and Harry. "But other than that, looks like it's going to be a good year."

"For you," said Harry, staring with faint horror at a long list in his hands. Cassie peered over his shoulder to read it. "Twenty-three hopefuls, and tryouts were only announced yesterday!"

"That's good!" beamed Cassie, pounding him on the shoulder. "We'll need a lot of people trying out – ever since Fred and George's year graduated, we've lost half our team! Oh, and Ron," she turned to the redhead, "you are still planning on trying out, right?"

Ron, who was now looking a slight bit pale, nodded and managed a smile.

"Bet Hermione's got loads of homework from Runes," Cassie continued as they walked down the hall to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

   "Shame," said Ron, now smiling genuinely, though it quickly sunk as Hermione approached from the side and he cleared his throat.

   "Oh, you wait," said Hermione, narrowing her eyes. "I bet Snape's going to give us loads.."

   No sooner had the words left her mouth than the door to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom swung open. Snape stepped into the corridor, his face frames by two curtains of greasy black hair. Silence fell over the hallway immediately. "Inside," the professor instructed.

   Cassie decided it would be better to follow his directions wordlessly and not manage a detention on the first day, so she took a seat at her shared desk with Harry and began to pull out her books, quill, and wand. Suddenly, a pale hand slammed onto her book cover as she tried to open it. She looked up to see Snape, raising an eyebrow challengingly. "I have not yet asked you to take out your books," he said. "I wish to speak to you, and I want your fullest attention."

He moved toward the front of the room, his robes swishing about his ankles and giving the impression that he were gliding across the tile floor. "You have had five teachers in this subject so far, I believe," he said, turning slowly to face the students. "The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible. Now..." He set off again, around the other side of the classroom toward his desk. "You are, I believe, complete novices in the use of non-verbal spells."