91. Amycus And Alecto Carrow

CHAPTER NINETY-ONE;

AMYCUS AND ALECTO CARROW.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"...I dunno, I just thought.. well, shouldn't we be learning about.. Muggles?" asked Cassie, quite boldly. Despite Alecto Carrow's contemptuous glaring as she advanced toward the desk Cassie and Daphne shared, Cassie kept her face void of emotion and voice steady.

   Alecto stopped directly before Cassie's desk and squatted down, pushing her incredibly squashed-up face right into Cassie's personal space, closer and closer until Cassie could smell the turkey leg Alecto had had for lunch; even more so as the professor opened her mouth to spit out, "And why would we do that?"

   Cassie kept her face still, regardless of how much she wished to crinkle up her nose and gag at the horrendous odor. "Because it's Muggle Studies," she replied, toneless – before adding, on the cue of a subtle under-the-desk nudge from Daphne, "Professor."

   "Idiot girl, I know what class I'm teaching," said the Carrow sister, narrowing her beady eyes and jabbing a stubby finger into Cassie's face. Then, slowly, a hideous smile spread its way onto Alecto's cracked lips and she turned to address the rest of the class. "Actually, Delacour here has provided us with the perfect set-up for your first lesson, class," she spat the last word, as if the concept of her being a teacher was disgusting. "Here it is, the lesson for today: Muggles are poisonous. They are magic-thieves. Dirty up our pureblood. You lot, raise your hand if you've got any traces of Muggle in your bloodline!"

   Her eyes scanned the classroom eagerly, though nobody dared raise a hand, even if they truly were halfblooded. Alecto's smile fell. Clearly, she had been eager for a magic-stealer to humiliate.

   "None of you? Well, whatever," she said, with the tone of a child who had had their favorite toy stolen from them. "I'll just continue on with the lesson, then. Muggles and Muggleborns are, in short,–"

"Would you mind elaborating on how they are magic thieves, please?" said Cassie, raising her hand yet not waiting for Alecto to call on her before speaking. "I'm just curious as to how that would work."

Alecto had the informality to look momentarily taken aback before regaining her composure and glaring at Cassie again. "Delacour," she snapped, "we don't speak without being called on. Keep this act up, and it'll be a detention. And trust me.. you don't want a detention from me."

Cassie bit back her tongue to keep from quipping something she would have easily replied to Umbridge, and instead shrugged shamelessly. She spared a glance to Daphne, who seemed unaffected by her dormmate's curiosities; then, Cassie turned her attention to Theo and Blaise, who were sharing urgent whispers amongst themselves whilst sparing glances in Cassie's direction. Well.. it looked as though Theo was doing most of the whispering; Blaise looked plainly uninterested, yet piped in every once or twice with a comment that would shut Theo up for a moment, before he would go off on a tangent again. Blaise seemed over it.

Sparing one more sneer in Cassie's direction, Alecto returned to the blackboard to scribble down something unintelligible.

   The rest of the lesson was an hour of uninterrupted lecturing as to how much Alecto hated Muggleborns and their soiled blood and their pilfering. Neville once asked if Alecto knew any Muggles herself, and, after an overdramatic gag, the Professor replied that she would rather throw herself from the Astronomy Tower than freely converse with a Muggle. Class ended with an assigned paper on what the impact of removing Muggles and Muggleborns from society would do to help the economy.