10. Secret's Out

chapter ten / secret's out

THE NEXT MORNING AS CASSIE HEADED DOWN TO THE GREAT HALL, Cedric and Atticus were just arriving. The two boys turned at her footsteps, a grin on Cedric's face from seeing his friend for the first time since break.

   "You're back!" Cassie exclaimed with a wide smile, rushing down the stairs to get to the two boys faster. She tackled him with a hug.

   "Came back early for Quidditch," he laughed. "Most people did. And since Harry's got his Firebolt back from Mcgonagall—"

Atticus scoffed. "No greeting for me? Fine, I see how it is." 

"You've been here the whole time," she reminded him. "Anyway, why are you two late to breakfast? That's not much like you."

   Cedric twisted his lips. "My alarm didn't go off, so I wasn't able to wake Atticus up."

   Cassie frowned. "But aren't you two—?"

   "In different dorms, yes. He needs help waking up on the weekends though; absolute wanker to try and get out of bed. I know my way to his, and he knows the way to mine. It was a long process, at first, but after promising that we wouldn't give out the information to anybody else—"

   "Tap the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row, to the rhythm of Hel-ga-Huff-le-puff," Atticus interrupted, a proud grin on his face as he finished.

   Cedric shoved Atticus's shoulder. "You've ruined it, mate. What the bloody hell is wrong with you?"

Cassie exhaled a laugh just as they entered the Great Hall. Immediately, what had been hushed whispers echoing around the breakfast room fell to complete silence. Mostly every head spun to the entrance, the entire hall either staring at Cedric, Atticus, or Cassie.

   Cassie leaned in. "What're they looking at?" she whispered as the two boys paused, glancing around.

   "No clue. Maybe I'm just too attractive for them to take their eyes off of me," Atticus flaunted. He swaggered off to his table, but the eyes stayed on Cedric and Cassie, so it hadn't been Atticus they were looking at.

Cassie and Cedric turned to each other.

   "Only one way to find out," he muttered, and she nodded her head once.

   "Good luck, then," she whispered, before the two separated. Cassie inhaled a sharp breath as the eyes immediately began following her to the Gryffindor table, a few even still watching as she sat next to Harry.

Her three friends shared a glance.

   "What's this all about?" Cassie leaned in, furrowing her eyebrows. "Is there something in my hair?"