27. A Particularly Bothersome Migraine

chapter twenty seven / a particularly bothersome migraine

                       Cassie's fourth-year schedule was luckily very similar to her schedule from the previous year. Care of Magical Creatures with Slytherin (hooray..), Transfiguration and Herbology with Hufflepuff; but, Cassie realized as she looked over the parchment, she was in for double Divination.

   "Outside all morning," Ron remarked, peering down at his schedule. This was not necessarily a bad thing; the weather was lovely, now that the storm had cleared up. "Damn, we're still with the Slytherins for Hagrid's.."

   "Double Divination this afternoon," Harry pointed out from his own times-table. Cassie's lips quirked at the corners – at least she would have a friend in that class.

   "You should have given it up like me," Hermione said, buttering herself some toast. "Then you'd be doing something else – something useful – like Arithmancy."

   "Ah, yes, how I wish to spend my days learning the dead language of symbols," sighed Cassie wistfully, before snickering with Ron and Harry and ignoring Hermione's eye roll.

   "I notice you're eating again." Ron nodded towards the toast in Hermione's hand.

   "I've decided there are better ways to make a stand about elf rights."

   "Yeah, and you were hungry," Ron grinned. Cassie shoved his shoulder.

   A loud rustling sounded from overhead, and everyone looked up. A hundred owls soared through the ceiling and began dropping parcels onto the tables. Cassie scanned the birds for Cupid, but to no avail. She must not have received anything. Her eyes traveled to the Ravenclaw table and landed on Atticus, who was reading a letter and looking quite grey in the face.

   Cassie made to stand and ask him about it, but it was time for class.

   They were dealing with Bubotuber harvesting in Herbology – squeezing the pus and collecting it in jars. Cassie was suddenly very glad she hadn't eaten much for breakfast, as she was sure it might've made a reappearance if she had.

   All in all, the class was easy enough, and the hour and thirty minutes flew by quickly. Next was Care of Magical Creatures.

   "Mornin'!" Hagrid said as the students arrived. "Probably should wait for the Slytherins, they won' want ter miss this – Blast-Ended Skrewts!" He pointed happily to the crates behind him.

   Lavender squealed and ran behind Parvarti; Seamus shoved Dean forward, as though he was a peace offering; Cassie stumbled back in shock, accidentally running into Harry's shoulder. He avoided eye contact with her and muttered an apology, moving to stand closer to Ron.

   Their first lesson was on the anatomy of a Blast-Ended Skrewt – a lesson that Cassie definitely could have gone without hearing in her life. She left Hagrid's hut looking very green in the face.