30. The Champions

chapter thirty / the champions

                        "Planning on sharing your bed with Krum tonight, Ron?" teased Cassie, who was watching Ron squirm around trying to invite Viktor Krum to sit with them at the Gryffindor table.

   Ron scowled lightly and shook his head. "Bloody ridiculous," he muttered, turning back to face his own table. Krum had taken a seat next to Malfoy at the Slytherin table and, Cassie had to say, she wasn't surprised.

"Good evening, ladies, gentlemen, ghosts, and — most particularly – guests," announced Dumbledore, earning silence from the crowd in front of him. "I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable.

"The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast. I now invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home!"

The plates in front of them filled with food at once. Cassie decided nearly half of it was foreign, as she hadn't a clue what any of the desserts nor most of the main courses were.

   The Gryffindors ate their dinner happily in light conversation, occasionally glancing around at the new students. Everyone was nervous, and Cassie was shocked when a girl from Beauxbatons had the confidence to walk up to the Gryffindor table.

   "Excuse me," she said, her French accent heavy, "are you wanting ze bouillabaisse?"

   Ron's face paled of color and he stared up at the girl. He opened his mouth to reply, but nothing came out. Cassie rolled her eyes.

   "Yeah, have it," said Harry, as it was obvious Ron was too shellshocked to say anything.

  "You 'ave finished wiz it?"

   "Yeah," said Ron breathlessly. "Yeah, it was excellent."

   The girl picked up the dish and carried it to the Ravenclaw table. Ron was still gazing in her direction until Hermione nudged his shoulder. Cassie scoffed.

   "Wow, Ron, how charming was that?" she asked sarcastically. "I mean, what girl wouldn't want to get into bed with you after that?"

   "Shuddup," said Ron, ears pink, as he spooned mashed potatoes into his mouth.

   "She was a veela, wasn't she?" asked Harry curiously.

   "Of course she isn't!" said Hermione tartly. "I don't see anyone else gaping at her like an idiot!"

   But she was only partially right. As the girl crossed the Hall, many boys turned their heads and some seemed to have become temporarily speechless.