Chapter 3- A Whole New World

I tried to control my breathing, but stopped breathing completely as I heard the squeak of room door being pushed open. The clamping sound got louder and I knew that whoever they were, they were getting closer to me. I felt my hair being brushed with a hand and my eyes flittered as I fought the need to open them. Alas, I knew that I wouldn't fool an Erudite, and I slowly opened my eyes, but regretted it in seconds. "I see that you got up already," She said in a gentle, happier tone than the person that I knew from the books.

I couldn't even reply. I knew that there was a high possibility that I would be Divergent. Jeanine grinned like I was a golden dimond, underneath a welcoming smile. "Your teacher keeps in touch with me Kristen," Jeanine said. "She thought that you might survive in Erudite, so she put you here," Jeanine added once she sat on the end of the bed. I tried to hide my worried face. She would ask about my expression if I didn't, and what would I say? Oh, it's just that I know your master plan for attacking Abnegation, and that your life's work is killing people who don't follow your rules! "I think that you should get ready, I want to show you around," Jeanine said with her smile now visable, but faded slightly. She got up and when to the door and gave one more smile before opening it and getting out of the room. Soon it was closed again, and I sighed. I walked over to the closet to pick out a blue collared shirt. Everything fit perfectly. Even the Khaki skirt, and black flats that had blue bows on them.

I walked over to the bathroom to get dressed in privacy. I still wasn't exactly at home yet. After finally brushing my teeth and putting my long, blond hair in a ponytail, using a blue hairband, I walked as perfectly as I could out of the room. Jeanine waited for me in the living room. She was staring interested at a book that looked like it was about the history of medicine, but looked up as I closed the door to my room. She glowed and stood up to hold my hand, but never dropped the book. Outside of the apartment, we walked past other Erudites heading to labs or libraries. We walked to a eye store, where I saw many different styles of glasses. Jeanine lead me over to a section where the glasses were for people who didn't need glasses. I chose a pair of square black glasses, but I noticed that the other Erudites that I saw in the headquarters on my way there had more carefully designed glasses. After getting the right size, Jeanine showed me where her lab and the library was. The library was huge, but because of the computers, books were probably rarely taken out. Compared to the quiet library though, Jeanine's laboratory had other Erudite scientists scurrying around every where. Some were adding chemicals together, others were trying to solve complex math equations.

Jeanine stepped forward from the two doors of the lab where we stood, but turned around. I think that she wanted to do something, but not with me around. I think that we were both very tired by the time we got back home. I walked to my room. I so badly wanted to go to bed. "Oh! I might tell you now," Jeanine said. I turned around before I got to my door. "Because today is Friday, you have all weekend to study for an assessment I want to give you to determine what grade you should go to school for!" Jeanine shouted from her room. " English will be on Monday, Reading will be on Tuesday, History will be on Wensday, Math will be on Thursday, and my favorite, Science, will be on Friday! I'm saving the best for last!" Jeanine hissed happily.

I tried to remain calm, but the second I closed my room door shut was the second my brain was going to melt. An Assesment!?! No...An Erudite Assessment. I could feel it. I was doomed. What if my grade was so low, that they wouldn't have a place to put me in! I jumped into bed worried, and couldn't seem to drift asleep until far past Midnight.