Chapter 1-Ms. Meedle

I jumped in my seat as the bell rang throughout the room and the school it was in. I was quite tired from the week, and it wasn't one of my bright days. Those days where I skipped by every worksheet that my teachers had offered me. No, today I was a bit slow; barely staying on my feet and in the game of high school. I started at the large wooden door of the classroom but stopped as I heard my name over the moving of shoes rushing to get out of the room. It was Ms. Meedle's voice, and it took a lot of energy to spin around to face her, but I did. Her pale face wore a look of distress, so that even her normally, almost white, blonde hair seemed darker. She didn't look me in the eyes when she called me, instead, she moved some papers that were piled on the table next to her, with one hand. As if she was stalling herself from telling a truth. My legs inched forward and her eyes shot up at once. "Kristen, tell me, why are you so gloomy?" Ms. Meedle asked.

" I don't know," I replied looking down. When I did take the chance to lift my eyes off the ground, I knew that Ms. Meedle could tell that I was lying. She'd make a great Candor if she was in the book that I was reading.

" So, you're reading Divergent?" Ms. Meedle questioned, almost worried. I gave a very small nod. "How is it?"

I held my next breath in, but soon let it out as I replied, "Wonderful," with a relaxed smile on my face. I reassured myself that there was nothing to hesitate about at all. No, not with Ms. Meedle. You could always trust her. But my reading teacher's expression didn't change.

" Do you like it better than reality?" I frowned. I had thought about that question ever since I fell in love with the trilogy. But my drooped mouth already spoke to Ms. Meedle. "I feared that you might show that," She muttered loud enough for me to hear. Ms. Meedle looked more nervous then upset now.

She grabbed one of the books that she found on her desk and "played" with the papers to stall herself by flipping though the pages. I watched as she turned them faster and faster until I could no longer count the papers that she was flipping. No matter how fast she turned them, they didn't tear, or rip apart. My expression turned to awe as she stopped using her hand, and started to what looked like, mind control the papers to move at her command. I got so wrapped up into watching her do magic, that I was stunned when the turning stopped quickly, only to settle on a page. Ms. Meedle looked up at me.

" Kristen," Ms. Meedle said seriously. " Do you want to go into the world of Divergent?"