Chapter 16-Serum 157

~Three years later~

I don't want to open my eyes. In a way, I already know where I am because I can hear the rolling of small wheels, and the shaking of the large metal table that I'm on as it's being carted to somewhere. Soon the cart stops and I open my eyes just enough to look and see that I am restrained. Jeanine is a liar. She will do something to me.

I strain against the leather that binds me to the table. They dig further into my wrists with every thrust upward. Nothing happens except for some pain in my arms. I open my eyes. The restrains are still intact and my wrists are red. Something suddenly boils inside of me. I scream in frustration and fury, trying to violently get my arms out of the straps. I bump my head against the metal table when my anger is drained.

The cart soon stops in front of two large double doors. I open my eyes, only to see Jeanine walk out. She ignores my presence by not even glimpsing at me, and instead communicates with the guards. I bite my lower lip in anticipation. What will she do to me? I think for a moment before deciding to ask her myself. "What will you do to me?" I ask with a scratchy voice.

Jeanine stops her conversation and looks down onto me. She walks towards me with a professional air, before leaning against the table. Her sharp watery grey eyes bore into mine, and I feel insecurity and fear. Jeanine can be very unpredictable, and it might not be for the better if she probably wouldn't mind my death. I keep a small portion of my lip, clenched against my teeth.

She doesn't smile, or talk; Jeanine just stares at me for what seems like forever. I begin to count the seconds. One...two...three...four, five, six, seven, eight- "Wheel her in," Jeanine orders out of the blue. She never lifts her gaze away from me until after the cart is pushed forward. Dread and worry suddenly fills any empty spaces inside of me. It floods my soul. My lungs feel like they are slowly caving in. And I am stuck on this table, powerless, and doomed.

The table stops in the center of the room. Jeanine rolls up to me in a skinny chair, and smiles. I crane my neck left to look at her. "Liar!" I whisper in a harsh tone. Jeanine continues to smile stupidly back at me. She knows something that I do not.

"Now that won't help you now, will it," She starts. "You are still on this table young lady, and you will still be used just as any other divergent. Because you are no different from any other one of your kind; only here to destroy the faction system!"

An uneasiness grows inside of me. There is no telling what Jeanine will do to me now. I try to look apologetic. "I'm not like that Jeanine! Please listen to me!" Tears slowly swarm my vision.

Jeanine crosses her arms and narrows her eyes at me while shaking her head. "I can't let a divergent like you go," She scowls. "Not with your impurities." Jeanine stands up from her seat and looks down at me again. She seems so much more taller, stronger, and more intimidating from my angle. "Inject serum 157," Jeanine orders before walking away. I try to follow her movements with my eyes, but soon scientists crowd around me in white lab coats, and my fears become a reality. They attach various wires to my arms and head, and virtually nearly every part of me. My heart thumps loudly, my palms sweat with anticipation, and tears threaten to leave my eyes. Afterwards the majority of them leave with the exception of just two. Suddenly, I feel a painful prick on my arm, and the light in the room begins to fade into darkness.
~•~
I groggily wake up on one of the many and commonly cracked, and destroyed roads in the city. My muscles ache, especially my left arm. How did I get here? I notice two figures in the distance, walking toward me. Jeanine wouldn't let me go, would she? The silhouettes near until I can see that they are holding objects. My heart begins to beat loud like a drum. Within a few minutes, the shadows are only meters away and I notice the objects in their hands. A crowbar, and a knife; Classic factionless weapons. The people, look factionless. One is a man, and the other a woman, but they both look alike with tattered clothing and grizzly, greasy, hair.