Chapter 11- Choosing Between Two

- 2 weeks later-

I never forgot what Jeanine told me before I left her lab, and I know that she didn't. But she's been ignoring it. Today she tells me as we drive to the Choosing Ceremony.

Jeanine was in the kitchen, reading the newspaper and grinning. She looked up at me and her expression faded. Obviously, she didn't favor me anymore. I looked down, trying to avoid any further eye contact with her as I walked over to the door without my schoolbag, which felt strange not having. Jeanine got up from where she was sitting at once and tried to stop me from going to the ceremony alone. She grabbed her coat and followed me out the door without a word, but a stern look on her face. However, once we had left the apartments, Jeanine held me by my arm, and lead me to her car.

"So, your results," Jeanine said to me while driving. I didn't reply, but she continued. "When you chose both the bow, and clothing, you had manipulated the simulation had gotten results for Dauntless. However, when you gave the clothing to the burdened man, I didn't know whether that was selfless, or friendly, and so, I looked at motion of your brain. The deed had been a selfless one, and so Amity was ruled out even if you do like to be a creative and free soul, but, you still had an aptitude for Abnegation and Dauntless," Jeanine glanced at me to see if I was paying any attention. " Next, was the simulation with the doors. When you chose the library over the court and farm, that gave you Erudite." She once again, glanced at me. "I wanted to stop the simulation at that point, but I also wanted to see if you change, in terms of situations that did not deal with favoritism, but logic. So, I made the librarian ask you about that book, knowing that you had taken it out before." We were almost at The Hub or Sears Tower, where the Choosing Ceremony would be held by Amity this year. " We both know what happens after that. It's obvious that you had gotten Candor too." Jeanine says as she parks the car.

Will she kill me? I can't choose Erudite. We'll be closer, and she'll be able to get me.

I get out immediately and look around. Only a handful of Abnegation stand in a line outside, but all of my thoughts are on whether I should choose Erudite, or Dauntless. I could be free and independent, or I can be resourceful for others. I could explore a whole new world, or, I could stay in the one that I've known for a portion of my life. Jeanine shoves Abnegation teens to the ground as we walk to the Choosing room, and I try to resist the urge to help the troubled Abnegation, or command Jeanine to stop. Jeanine leans against the wall of the room, while I find a seat. We are one of the first Erudite there, but Amity and Candor have already settled. Moments after every Erudite 16 year old finds their seat, a parade of laughter and noise accompanied but drumming footsteps fills the room as Dauntless children interrupt the quite conversations of Candor and Erudite. Following them, is silence though, as the Abnegation enter the room.

When my name is called, I stand up and scoot to the Choosing bowls. I look from the bowl of hot coals, to the water that is stained red with blood from others. I shut my eyes tight and quickly dig the knife into my hand. There is pain, but it feels soothing within seconds and I see myself jumping out of trains and onto buildings. I reach my hand out and for seconds, wait for my blood to drip into one of the two bowls. I hear some gasps, and mutters from the crowd of waiting children behind me, and that's when I open my eyes. I stare in pure horror as a drop of my blood, falls onto the hot coals, and makes a sizzling sound that only I can hear. It feels good to be free from Jeanine finally, but I still hold the look of regret on my face when I turn around to walk over to the Dauntless, and join them. Once there, I look for Jeanine. She is where she had been the whole time, but now, she narrows her eyes at me, as if she is a snake, angered by the loss of prey. I feel my heart shatter into bits and I try hard not to let tears roll out of my eyes, let alone be there. I look down at the ground for the rest of the Choosing Ceremony. This was the person that somehow took me in when I had not a clue about anything in this world, and I betrayed her.