Chapter 14-Visiting Day

Already half of our initiation has passed. A lot of changes have taken place with body. My stick-like arms from Erudite are now muscular. I've grown faster and can now run up to five miles non stop.

Today is also Visiting Day. I doubt that Jeanine will come. She's already always occupied. Besides, she probably despises me now. Not only have I betrayed her and chosen Dauntless, but I'm also a Divergent.

I walk wearily to the pit as to do some additional training. I feel exhausted though. I just can't sleep anymore. Nearly all of my dreams are nightmares involving Jeanine. I can't close my eyes without picturing the scene of my capture. In fact, I'm always alert for anything.

I decide to go for a short run to Erudite Compound. Lately in my free time I've been traveling there. Outside, I watch Jeanine's office window. It is huge in comparison to the others and it overlooks the city. Sometimes she's near it, and looks out in the direction of the Abnegation sector of the city. One time we acknowledged each other's presence. She looked down for once and found me at the bottom. There was no emotion shown, and so I can't say how she felt about me.

When I breathlessly arrive at my old home, I look up at the Jeanine's office window. Jeanine isn't at there today. She must be working. After I catch my breath from the four mile run, I turn around to head back to Dauntless. When I return, there's no sighting of Jeanine, and so I head to my bunk to rest my muscles. Maybe I can't sleep, but I can use a break from our treterous initiation.

I slip into my uncomfortable bunk, and try to enjoy the quiet in the dorms. I kind of miss the calm atmosphere of Erudite, everyone rushing to the library to complete their projects and assignments... No. Dauntless is somewhat better.

I don't turn around to even footsteps, or I try not to. But eventually I do and see Ryan sulking his way into the dorm, eating an apple. There's a red ring around his left eye; Lyra managed to finally beat him up the other day. At the rate that Ryan has been succeeding in his fights, he won't make initiation. I just know it. If anything, he should have chosen Candor along with his quick tongue and stupidity. Ryan climbs into his bed. "Look who's alone," He says slowly. "No wonder that Nose doesn't ever want to see you again,"  He adds, referring to Jeanine. I look down and turn in my sheets to face the wall. "Awww... look who's a coward!"

I turn around to tell him to shut up, except I don't. And that is because of the shock and fear on his face. I follow his gaze and see three people , and I hate all of them. In the doorway stands Max, Sharon, and Jeanine. I turn around as quickly as I can. Like Ryan, I don't want to see her. Unlike Ryan though, I'm not afraid of her. Jeanine walks over to me and pets my shoulder. When I find it in me to look at her, she studies me. Once regaining his focus, Ryan decides to chuck his eaten apple at me, except it hits the rim of my bed with a small bang, and rolls onto the ground. I pick it up and chuck it back at him, hitting his left eye. I know what's going to happen, but I don't care. I turn to face the wall again. Hearing the shuffle of footsteps I can't contain my curiosity. When I turn around, I get Ryan's fist in my face. My jaw explodes with pain, but that's nothing new. When he backs away with a grin, I jump out of my covers. It's on!

For awhile we circle each other just like in training. Exactly like in training. I climb onto my bed for higher ground, but Ryan grabs my ankle and hauls me down. In the end both of us crash onto the cold, hard, cement ground. But our fight isn't over, not yet. I lift myself up before Ryan does and crouch besides the beds, trying to hide within them until the perfect moment. When his back is turned towards me, I make my move and come at him. Ryan recognizes my place though, and spins around, punching me in the stomach. I topple over and fall to the ground, and Ryan follows for another punch, but I slip by his fist just in time. Once up from behind him, I give a hard kick to his back before he can notice. Ryan loses his balance and stumbles over, crashing into the wall by the doorway.

I take a quick glance around the room. Apparently, Jeanine backed away before the fight got violent, and find her beside the Dauntless leaders outside the doorway?. I return to my bed and slip back into my black sheets, facing the wall again. I don't have the tolerance for nearly anything right now. I sigh and close my eyes. For once I just want to get some rest. But I can't. I see the same horror that I've been seeing ever since I chose Dauntless: Jeanine in her finely pressed white, clean, lab coat. Leaning over my restrained body with both curiosity and malice in her eyes. Slowly sticking a syringe filled with death serum into my skin. Slowly the event fades to darkness. When I try to open my eyes though, the black void doesn't seem to go away.