Chapter 17-Disaster

I turn away from what I see, and will myself to run, but then I blink, and I am soon caught in restraints. I squeeze my eyes shut. I need to forget what I just saw, except I can't. Fake Lyra's corpse is burned through my eyelids. I don't take notice of my sobs until after my tears trickle down my neck; I can't wipe them away, so they stay there trapped at the bottom of a cavern, ice cold and wet.

Jeanine appears over me. She gives me her cold glare. Her face reflects anything but empathy and compassion. She grazes her hand on my arm and glances up, nodding to something in the distance. Footsteps echo from the ground and a guard inspects me, just as Jeanine does. "Take her back," She mutters.

My frail body is lifted like a small rag from the metal table below. The guard tugs at me, moving me forward as Jeanine watches us intently. I fight the guard, trying to shove her away, but any attempts are fruitless. The doors near, sliding open automatically as we walk towards them. Within the seconds that they move to automatically close, I swerve my head around to catch one more glimpse of Jeanine. She has already turned away. In moments I face white walls. The guard pulls me down the hallway, to my cell. They are definitely Dauntless. Their red-dyed hair gives their faction away. After a few left, rights, left, rights, we stop at my cell and the guard types in the passcode. The steel door swings open. A strong force shoves me into my cell, and I fall onto my hands and knees. The door locks shut behind me. I sit up, caressing my back.

I need to get out of here.

Gazing up at the ceiling, I notice a vent. However, there is also the problem of the camera in the corner. Rushing to my feet, I jump and hang onto the metal bars above me. I squirm and writhe. Why won't this open? Simple. There are screws in place, and I need to detach those before I consider getting out. Because my sudden hope that my weight can defy the properties of cheap metal, were disproven.

I let go of both the vent and my freedom. As if on cue the guard returns, and locks my arm with their fist. They drag me out of my room. I try to anchor my feet on the white solid floor of Erudite Headquarters, failing to stop the guard.

I get shoved into a metallic modern chair in Jeanine's office. She sits across from me. Her eyes pierce my soul and my heart races. Jeanine holds a playful, knowing smile. Her fake square spectacles hang on her nose, making her appear professional.

Outside, the city alarm drones. My ears feel like they will bleed, but after being in silent captivity for so long, it's a practical development. From her office window I can see Dauntless soldiers trekking in unison, to the Abnegation sector. They hold guns and their rock hard faces tell me everything I need to know about today. I remember this part. One of the worst parts.

The door flies open as Sharon strangles Lyra onto her knees. My lungs fill with hope, a certain light that radiates to my eyes. I can't help but allow wet hot tears roll down my cheeks like children on a slide.

"Kristen!" Lyra gasps, falling over onto her hands and knees. Her face is drenched in deep pink from her tears. Her eyes are glassy with water. I don't know why she hasn't fought back by now. She has a handgun, and she has clearly made Dauntless because of her uniform.

In my glance at Jeanine, her cold haunting glare pierced through me more. Just a glance. I can't bear to look at Lyra either. Her misery forces my heart to swell, and a headache to form from emotion.

Jeanine clears her throat. "Silence her." Sharon takes a wad of cloth and stuffs it into Lyra's mouth like stuffing a teddy bear with cotton. The cloth takes  up the entirety of her mouth, and I wonder how Lyra's jaw hasn't broken. Her screams are now muffled noises that can barely be heard.