Rights can be lifted

(Maximillian's P.O.V.)
It was my first day at this reforming school. We all sat behind these long wooden tables. On the tables it had plates for every child and a tray with cheese or ham sandwiches. I was confused why everyone was waiting to grab some. But I was starving so I was not gonna wait. I grabbed a ham sandwich and moved it to my mouth. "Maximillian Shelby get over here". I stopped and looked around the table before turning to the person who called my name. It was Mr Gino who spoke. "Hurry up" he spoke again. He hesitantly laid down my sandwich and stood up to walk over to him. I stopped in front of him and looked up at him. Nothing but a cold glare stared back at me before I felt a sting on my cheek. I groaned and reached my hand up to my warm cheek. "You do not eat before we tell you to eat. Am I understood" Mr Gino asked lowering his gaze. I nodded and walked back to my seat after he waved me off. "Enjoy your meal" Mr Gino said and everyone immediatly digged in. While we all ate our breakfast someone walked inside the room as well. He was dark-skinned and had long black hair that were in dreads. "Listen up! Sleep hall no. 4. You lads can go outside with Jeremiah and play some football" Mr Gino explained (soccer for you American's), "the rest of you-" I stopped listening and looked over at the man named Jeremiah. He had some kindness in him, well atleast more than everyone else in this school. But he also showed a type of power one that you shouldn't mess with. But not dominating. We eventually walked outside and Jeremiah pointed some kids to start a match while the others had to wait for their turn. I watched the football match closely. The same boy who tripped me tackled a smaller kid to the ground. Jeremiah blowed the whistle and gave the ball to the small boy. "Last warning" he said to the older one. A couple scores later Jeremiah called a break. I watched the older boy sit down on a bench and I walked over to him. "how pathetic are you? Taking on those little ones" I told him. He stood up and towered over me. "Who the hell do you think you are" he snapped at me, "you wouldn't get away with it so easily with me" I said referring to him tackling the smaller once. He chuckled "whatever you say big guy" he replied in mocking tone. I ignored him amd walked over to Jack. "Do you really think you can take him?" He asked me. I nodded with confidence. "Do you want to play in my place?", "sure why not?" I replied shrugging my shoulders. "Come on! Let's go ask Jeremiah if we can trade places" Jack said with happiness. We both ran to the place Jeremiah was sitting. "Can he play in my place?" Jack asked Jeremiah as he pointed at me. "Of course he can" Jeremiah replied with a smile. He turned his head to look at me. "What's your name?". "Maximillian Shelby" I replied. He thought for a second. "Do people call you Maxi for short?" He asked, "only my family" I nodded to affirm his question. He chuckled and nodded his head. "Alright. Let's see what your worth, Little Blinder" he said with a cheeky smile while standing up. I froze to my spot as he called me that. "Well come on" he said throwing the ball to me and whistled. I kicked the ball away and the match started. I had succesfully tackled the older  boy a little into the match.

The next couple of days went by the same way. We had football competitions but sadly Jeremiah wasn't the referee anymore, he had some other work to do. There were also some chores to do, like mopping the sleeping hall. Luckily I could do most chores with Jack. He seemed to be the only friend I made in this school. Mr Gino also took me aside to look at some pictures. You had to tell a story about them. Most of them told something about love or affection but there where some others. Like there was this little girl screaming on the ground and I explained that the mother had took her doll from her. He wanted to know more details but I shoved the picture away and turned around to look out the window.

My last day had come to an end and Mr Gino led me down the big stairs, that I had walked up on my first day, to meet Paul. They exchanged a few words about my behaviour and then I was back in his car again ready to go home. I arrived home and mother opened the door. "Has he been good?" She asked looking from me to Paul, "sweet like a lamb" he replied. She nodded impressed, "how about the school? Has everything been arranged?" Paul asked, "yes. He can start tomorrow morning" she informed. "Good. Well have a nice day madam. Maximillian" Paul said and nodded before walking away. She turned away from me after telling me to do something usefull. I'll do something usefull I thought as I walked back outside. I was going to search for Finn. Maybe he wanted to play. I walked around the streets in search for Finn but I couldn't find him. I sighed and sat down near the canal we swim in, in the summer. "Hey Maxi!" I heard a familiar voice. I turned around and saw Finn run up to me. "Finn!" I yelled and stood up to run at him. We hugged each other and he asked me where I had been the last 4 days. I explained that I had been send to a reform school and that I was going to start a new school tomorrow. "Sucks to be you" he said with a laugh, "what's the name of the school?". "Northern Heath elementary" I said and threw a rock in the canal. It went silent around us for a while, while we kept throwing rocks in the canal. Then a whistle went through the air. We both turned our heads and I saw Aunt Polly walking towards us. She stopped as she saw me.

I could see that she was making sure it was me

I could see that she was making sure it was me. "Maxi" she said and a smile appeared on her face. I laughed and got up and sprinted to her. I crashed into her and she wrapped her arms around me. "Oh thank god. I thought we wouldn't see you again after you had been sent to that reform school" she said putting her hand on the back of my head. Finn arrived and had a proud smirk on his face because he was the one who found me. "How did you know about-" I asked but she cut me off "Jeremiah told us. He's a friend of ours". I smiled at the thought of Jeremiah telling my family about me. "It's getting late. Finn-" before Polly could cobtinue someone cut her off. It was my mother. She had called out my name and when she got closer she snatched my arm and janked me away from Polly and Finn. "You are not allowed to speak with them" she screamed and slapped me across the cheek, "hey. Hey" Polly called out and stepped forward in anger, "don't you dare, Pollyanna" mom said using the name dad uses for aunt Poll, "He is my son and you have no right to speak or see him". Polly stopped talking and thought for a minute. "That right won't hold for much longer" she said softly with as much power she can hold. "And when we finally have him in our custody. You listen for my footsteps on the cobblestones. Once that happens you have two options either run or fight. Your choice". My mother scoffed before dragging me with her. I cried out for my Aunt and Finn but they stayed on their spot.

Published: 24th of December 2020