How the rumor starts

Reader discretion is advised/author note:
this chapter has dialogue that I find offensive (offensive namecalling for sexuel preferences, bullying). But just for story purpose I put this in, I will do my best and keep it as lightly as possible. Please know that I do not condone this behavior irl. I find it morally wrong in this day and age or whatever year it is/was.
____________________________________________

(Max's P.O.V.)
I walk into the Garrison. While walling to the bar I had spotted Elijah sitting by the first window. Enjoying what looked like a non-alcholic drink. He noticed me aswell and I greeted him by tipping my peaked cap forward. I turned back to face the bar, ignoring him further. "A whiskey please, Harry" I said and put down some money on the wooden counter. Harry nodded and turned his back to me to get my drink ready. I pulled my coat back and grabbed the cigarette packet and a match. Striking the match I lit one of the cifarette and took a hit of it before blowing out the smoke.

 Striking the match I lit one of the cifarette and took a hit of it before blowing out the smoke

Harry arrived with my drink and I nodded my head in a thanking manner. I was left alone for a short time before I noticed three lads walk in. I rolled my eyes when I realized it was Dylan, Paul and Beau. They always look for trouble for no reason. But when their eyes landed on me they decided to not be irritating. "Max" Paul greeted me nervously and I ignored him. They simply ordered their drinks and left the bar counter immediatly after making me the only one standing by the bar once again. It was peacefull in the Garrison, probably because a Shelby was in the room. Didn't matter that it was the youngest Shelby in the room. There is always order when a Shelby is present. From the corner of my eyes I saw Elijah leave the Garrison and soon Paul, Beau and Dylan followed. I had a gut feeling that they where going cause trouble. I knew that Elijah was gay and I know how hard some people make his life. So I just wanted to make sure nothing would happen to him. I puffed out a last blow of smoke and put out my cigarette. Before downing my drink. I grabbed my peaked cap and put it back onto my head before walking outside. Arriving outside I looked around the court for any signs of the lads. Then I spotted them, just in time to see Paul snatch away Elijah's pocket camera. I watched for a bit and saw Paul push Elijah for a bit. Elijah didn't do anything back. "I knew it, he's a pussy!" Paul laughed turning to his friends. "Just like his father the war-shy bastard. Come on! Do something, faggott!" Paul screamed and out of anger Elijah punched out. Wasn't hard I must admit, but kid stood up for himself so means something right. "He punches like my sister. In fact, I think my sister punches a bit harder" Paul chuckled. I could see Elijah went to punch him again but Paul caught his fist and turned it to one side almost breaking Elijah's arm. Before Paul could punch Elijah I tackled him to the ground. I felt my knuckles connecting with his face. Soon I got pulled off by Beau and Dylan and they started to attack me. Somehow I managed to get to my feet and once that happened they realized their mistake. My anger filled my veins and my fists clenched in pure rage. But Paul, was either stupid or didn't care that I was a Shelby. "Why you standing up for this, faggott. Huh Shelby?" He sneered at me, "you fancy him?" He mocked at me, "I can fancy whoever I want. Male or female" I told him before smirking after I saw discomfort form on his face. "Just wait when your family finds out about your secret, Max!" Paul sneered as he backed up, "they don't take kindly to people like you and him". I scoffed and turned around to walk to Elijah's camera. I bowed down and picked it up before handing it to him. "Go home, Elijah" I told the boy, "I-" he started, "go home!" I loudly told him. He flinched a bit but nodded "thank you" before walking off. I stayed on my spot for a bit before taking a deep breath. "This is going to be fun when the rumors spread" I softly whispered before walking off.

Published: 5th of october 2022