Mother vs Brother

(Maxi's P.O.V.)
I looked up at the the school building of my new school, Northern Heath Elementary. Kids ran past me as the school bell rang. I slowly followed them inside. I saw someone telling the other kids to hurry up and get to class. "Are u Mr brown?" I asked him as I took of my peaked cap. The man turned his head "Brown! There is someone who is asking for you". I saw another man walk up to us. He had glasses and started to go bald. "Im Maximillian Shelby. My mother told me I was going to be in your class" I told the two males, "oh thats right" the first man said looking over to the teacher, "I have told you about that woman?" He was propably the principal. "Ah so you are the boy from the paint can" Mr Brown. A smirk appeared on my face at the thought of the paint prank. this is a decent school. I hope you behave in his class, Shelby" the principal told me. "Let's go" Mr Browns said before pushing me further to his classroom. The whole classroom was talking and Mr Browns clapped in his hands to make the students shut their mouth. "Sir! He's a Peaky Blinder" one boy with white hair said pointing at me, "a gypsy bastard". Everyone turned in their seats to look at me with disgusting looks on their heads. "Go to your seat" Mr Browns said snapping his fingers and the three boys quickly got to their seats. "Maximillian". I walked slowly towards the teacher and he wrapped and arm around my shoulder "you can go sit with Ben". The boy named Ben looked over to the boy with the white hair who shook his head at Ben. Telling him to not let him sit with me. "Sir, I don't want him to sit with me" Ben said turning back to look at the teacher, "and why dont you want Maximillian to sit with you?" The teacher asked. Again Ben looked over to his friend who started to whisper but was cut off, "I wasn't talking to you, Sam". "Go sit with Richard" Mr Browns told Ben and I was allowed to sit in the school bench myself. "Notebooks" Mr Browns said and everyobe grabbed their notebooks to start the class. For the rest of the time of class I tried behaving but it was quite hard. There was this girl, Annie, in class that wanted to be friends with me but I was not so sure if I wanted to be friends. Finally the school day was over and I walked outside with Annie following close behind me. "Hey Gypsy bastard!" It was Sam and Ben again. "Leave him alone. He didn't do anything to you" Annie sneered at them. "Ignore them, Annie. Dont give them a reaction" I told her with an eyeroll. "Hey Little Blinder!". I turned around and saw my brother Tommy.

A smile appeared on my smile and I ran towards my brother

A smile appeared on my smile and I ran towards my brother. "Tommy!" I screamed as I came closer and closer. I stopped in front of him and looked up at him with a smile. He smiled back before picking me up and hugging me. "Wanna come to the Garrison with me?" He asked after he had put me back down. I nodded at him and the two of us walked towards the Garrison. My oldest brothers pub and I ran inside. I looled around the features of the inside. "Maxi!" Tommy called. He stood near a private booth and motioned for me to follow him. "Look at that! How's my brother" Arthur said and ruffled my hair. "Sit down, Maxi" Tommy told me and pointed to a chair. I sat down and placed my peaked cap on the table. "So. Why did you go to that reform school?" My brother asked. I lowered my head in shame but told them everything. About the paint, my situation with mum and then also about Henry. Mum had married him a couple of days ago. The room fell silent but soon Arthur lightened the mood. "right. We have something for you". He motioned for me to come to him. I slid over the bench towards him. He handed me another peaked cap. "I already have one?" I said and pointed to my cap that was laying near the edge of the table. "You've grown out of that one" Polly said with a smile, "and look". She showed me the razor blades that where sewn into the hem of the cap. I put the cap on. "A real Blinder" Arthur said with a proud smile. "Alright let's get you home now before you're too late" Tommy said. "I have to go to the King's Arms" I softly said. Everyone tilted their head in confusion and gave each other confusing looks. "I work there" I said fiddling with my hands. "Dear lord" Polly said with disbelief. "Then we go there" he replied and pushed me to the door after I said goodbye to everyone.

Tommy pushed the bar door open from King's Arms and followed me inside. "Did you have detention again?" Mother snapped at me, "it's my fault he's late" Tommy replied walking up behind me with his hands in his pockets."oh. Its you. What do you want" mom sneered at my brother.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
Maxi was told to get to work. "I want a drink" I answered Max's mother, "irish whiskey". She started to prepare my drink. "Heard you're married". "Did Max say that? Dont believe him, Thomas. Children don't see the difference with just talking and love. It's not your concern" she replied, "it is if you marry Henry Waters" I said drinking my whiskey. She quirked an eyebrow. "Just sign the custody papers. You don't even want Max" I told her. She looked over her shoulder to the place where Maxi had gone to. We watched Maxi clean some tables while she thought about the offer. "Why don't you think about it" I said before walking back outside.

(Maxi's P.O.V.)
It had been a couple hours since Tommy left and I had an order for a couple that was seated outside. On a different table was mom and Henry seated. I heard them talk. She asked him if she should sign the custody papers. But he shook his head and told her not to. This way she still got money from my family without working. I walked back inside and sat on a chair. I was so tired and started to fall asleep. "Max!". I looked up at my name and saw my mother. "Go home". I got up and walked out the bar.

Published: 3 January 2021