Chapter 22

Touka crouched down on the Dragon's kagune while digging her way through it.

The moment her metal detector made a noise, she immediately threw it away and started to dig.

She panted as she finally saw a glimpse of hope.

Beneath her crouching figure, two bodies laid there with a necklace on each of their chests.

One of the rings had the words 'Arata' and 'Hikari' engraved on it.

Touka instantly recognized who it belonged to as tears started to stream down her face.

She tried to calm herself as she observed the two bodies before using her earpiece to contact headquarters.

She took a deep breath.

"I've found them," she said, "I've found Kaneki and S/N."

As soon as we all got the announcement that the bodies have been retrieved, I quickly made my way to the CCG's hospital.

When I arrived, Touka and Nishiki were already there as well.

Hide and Kimi gestured for me to come closer.

I slowly walked towards them as I focused my gaze on the glass pane.

Inside the room before us, Kaneki's and S/N's bodies were taken care of by the doctors.

I felt the weight on my heart disappear as I saw them here, safe and sound.

"They're still alive, right?" Hide asked.

"Judging by their brain activities, they're still alive," Kimi answered.

"Idiot, always doing things by himself," Nishiki commented, "Complain to us a little, Kaneki."

"At least S/N was there with him," I said.

I put a comforting hand on Touka's shoulder.

"He'll be alright," I said softly, "Knowing S/N, he wouldn't even dare to leave you as a single mom."

Touka slightly smiled.

"Thank you, Y/N."

After the bodies were stabilized, Kaneki and S/N were put into separate patient rooms.

The word quickly spread and soon enough, many people came to visit.

Hinami, Banjou, Tsukiyama, Saiko, Ichimi, Jiro and Sante were one of the few people who went to check on Kaneki.

Tsukiyama even bought flowers for Kaneki, which was really sweet of him.

S/N didn't get as many visitors as Kaneki, but Touka stayed by his side the whole time.

They really are inseparable.

Just like before, I didn't want to disturb Kaneki so I refrained myself from visiting him. But the uneasy feeling of not knowing how he is made me decide to finally see how he's doing.

On my way to the hospital, I came across Urie and Mutsuki who were taking a walk around the city.

I joined them and the three of us walked together.

"Where are you heading to, L/N-san?" Urie asked.

"The hospital," I answered, "What about you two?"

"We're just trying to clear our heads," Mutsuki answered.

"All of the ghouls are at Sasaki's place," Urie commented.