Chapter 24

A few drops of sunlight lightened the hospital room through the window, even though the curtains were closed.

Judging from the brightness of the sun, it was probably already the next day.

I drowsily opened my eyes.

Sensing some sort of movement from the bed, I rasised my head lazily.

That's weird, I thought Ken was still-

My eyes widened at the sudden sight.

-asleep...

Kaneki sat up on his bed. His eyes fixed on the wall in front of him.

It was as if he's still processing on where he was.

His hand was still tightly gripped unto mine, and I didn't dare to let it go.

Slowly, Kaneki turned his head around.

We locked eyes.

"Y/N," Kaneki said in a relieved voice.

Tears started to flood my eyes as they began to drop down towards my thighs.

Kaneki looked at me confusingly.

Before he could react any further, I jumped from my seat and threw my arms on him.

The chair I was sitting on fell to the ground as I wrapped my arms around Kaneki.

"Y-You're actually awake!" I exclaimed, "Ken, you're awake!"

"Why wouldn't I?" Kaneki asked as he hugged me back, "Y/N, are you okay?"

I hugged him tighter.

"I should be asking you that," I answered with a slight chuckle while trying to lessen the sniffling, "I'm really glad you're here..."

After a few moments, I let go of the hug and picked up the chair.

"A lot of things happened while you were gone," I said.

Then, I proceeded to tell him about what happened.

Kaneki took in every word I said, and when I was finished he only sighed.

I looked at him with slight pity.

"You should continue to rest first, it's probably a bit overwhelming to suddenly wake up in a hospital."

I was about to leave when he suddenly grabbed ahold of my hand.

"W-Wait."

I turned around.

"Do you mind staying here?" he asked, "It'd be nice to have someone to talk to for a while."

"You sure?"

Kaneki nodded.

I sat back down again.

"How long did you wait here?" Kaneki asked.

"Yesterday afternoon," I answered, "You saw me sleeping didn't you?"

Kaneki laughed.

"I don't mind, I'm happy you stayed. It would've been lonely to wake up without someone by my side."

I slightly blushed; when did he become this straight forward???

Did he learn this from S/N?

Is it possible for someone to suddenly gain traits of another when they are trapped inside the same kagune?

"A-Ah, well, uh," I stuttered, "D-Did you dreamt of anything while you were unconscious?"

"I met Rize, actually," Kaneki said.