Kaneki Ken

I opened my eyes slowly as I started to grow conscious.

...where am I?

The warm moonlight shone itself upon me as if giving me the strength to get up and face the world once more.

A blue butterfly flew past, its wings glimmering under the moon's gentle blessing.

I forced myself to sit up straight.

I needed to find Kaneki.

I observed my surroundings to be some kind of park. I remembered this park to be the one where we took shelter at the time the Dragon emerged.

But, how did I get here?

Suddenly, I heard the sound of someone coughing to my right so I turned my head to the side to see who it was.

My eyes instantly widened.

"Ken!"

The white-haired male sat up straight as he kept on coughing.

He probably drowned as well, which is why we lost contact with him...

I patted his back to help.

Finally, he stopped coughing and widened his eyes when he saw me.

"Y/N?"

I sighed and smiled.

"I'm really glad you're okay," I said, "We lost contact with you, what happened?"

"I drowned in the leftovers of the core a few minutes after I destroyed it," Kaneki answered.

Then, he suddenly smiled proudly as if he couldn't believe what he just said.

"I...I destroyed the core..."

I nodded with a soft hum.

"You did, it was really amazing of you. We all saw the Dragon deactivate a few moments after the fight finished."

Kaneki put his hands on both of my shoulders.

"You're not hurt, are you?"

I chuckled and shook my head.

"I'm fine, there's no need to worry."

Kaneki sighed in relief.

"I'm glad."

He engulfed me in a hug.

"I was afraid I lost you," he said as buried his face on my shoulder.

I gently caressed his hair as I smiled softly.

"It's alright now," I said warmly, "I'm here."

We stayed like that for a few minutes, enjoying each other's company and cherishing it every moment.

A foreign feeling started to grow in my chest.

I've known Kaneki ever since elementary school. He was the second friend that I made back then, the first one being Hide. The two of us had the same taste in books, so we got along pretty well. We always stuck together, so it was weird when he graduated. But, we still kept in touch. Not even schools can keep us apart.

Kaneki was an easy person for me to read. Even though he tries to hide a lot of his problems for the sake of his friends, I always knew what was troubling him. I didn't mind if he couldn't read me as clearly as I could read him, as long as we were together every moment means a lot to me.

That's why when he managed to find out that I was Phoenix, I was shocked.

I didn't expect him to be able to see through my mask. Heck, I silently hoped he never found out. I didn't want him to think of me as a monster.