15 | sweet drips

TOKYO
18°C
LIGHT RAIN

"Mummy, why is it always raining?"

The question that'll probably never be answered echoes distantly near where Midoriya sat, where a mother and son share their time beside his table.

The rookie hero wasn't in the mood for pork buns or convenience food for once, though he didn't want to clash with that rude cashier in Neoma. So Midoriya dropped by a small café right beside Mirko's agency: a café of caramel walls and hardwood floors. Mirko once mentioned her favourite dessert from here, so he ordered a carrot cake and a cup of warm green tea.

The greenie wasn't really the dessert type, but needs are needs. If his stomach growls in the middle of patrol or a villain chase, then he'd make the trip home. At first, he was thinking of texting Masuyo to join him. She lived nearby after all, but considering her mental well-being, he thought it's better to let her be. As much as he cares and worries for her, the boy learned the hard way that sometimes it's better to keep things to himself.

Midoriya takes a bite of the cake, humming softly in pleasure at the sweet taste. It'd probably taste better when the sun's out, but it's drizzling as usual. Raindrops trickling down the windows. No surprise there.

"Because the sky is crying, kid."

Midoriya glanced at the answer, the mother gracefully cutting a piece of chocolate cake and lift it to the boy's mouth before he playfully chomps on it, shaking his legs in delight.

"Why is the sky crying then?"

The mother chuckles lightly. "Emotions can be complicated to the point that you can't control them. Sometimes society is the result of it...or mother nature is angry at us."

The little boy's face twisted in confusion, nevertheless, the light in his eyes gleam in curiosity.

"So...it's raining because...?"

"You'll understand when you're older." She smiles and feeds him another piece of cake.

Unbeknownst to them, the rookie beside them was listening, emerald eyes spacing on the windows beside him, his mind clouded as he focuses on the racing droplets. Their frank conversation somewhat lit a small fire in his heart as if it makes him giddy, but at the same time, some part of the mother's words was...sad, only sugar-coated with kindness and innocence for the boy's sake.

It's true. At the age of four, Midoriya learned that society wasn't as what he thought it was but a cruel world. Cruel enough to almost shatter his dreams and form inner insecurities he didn't know he had until he faced them. Even in the present, he still has much to learn even though he's working up a path to being the greatest hero.

When we were born, they put you in a little box and slapped a label on it. But if we begin to notice these categories no longer fit us, maybe it'll mean that we've finally arrived—just unpacking the boxes, making ourselves at home.

That's how he feels these days: in Mirko's agency, in Tokyo, in the rain that's been ongoing for perhaps centuries. He's still adapting and exploring, wondering where he truly stands.

Speaking of which, Midoriya wonders where he actually stands in Masuyo's life. The funny thing about knowing her is that she's the only friend he's ever made in this bustling city of Tokyo. Every morning and night get too busy to even wave hi's and goodbyes or linger a glance at certain people. Sure, there are other rookies and superiors at Mirko's agency, but how much of an impact did they leave on him?

Midoriya found it hard to believe that almost half a year past by ever since he met her—a lonely girl sitting outside Neoma, looking like she needed to be saved.

But what exactly is he saving her from?

"Shit," he realized, almost dropping his fork.

There's the answer. That's exactly where he stands in Masuyo's life.

It's the way she lives that he sees. The old receipts on the coffee table. The empty bottles of coffee piling in a plastic bag. The littered clothes across the bedroom. The lack of food in the fridge. The smell of fast food and spicy ramen lingering in the kitchen and living room. The dark circles under her eyes. The dead look in her jaded eyes. The smile he never sees until he or she cracked a joke. The way she sighs with melancholy for no reason. The way she spaces out in the middle of watching the television. The way she sleeps in a fetal position all the time as if she wants to hug something or be embraced.

The way she exists but doesn't look like she wanted to.

Midoriya knows something is wrong with Masuyo. But he doesn't know. How can he save someone if he doesn't know what's the cause of it?

But then, it doesn't matter what happens until you save them, right?

Overwhelmed by his thoughts, Midoriya inhaled deeply, closing his eyes as he did, and lets out a shaky sigh. He slowly opens his eyes then, staring wistfully at the empty chair in front of him.

"Masu-chan..." He mutters out, not knowing why he did.

Still, when he mumbles her name like a prayer—his heart beats a little faster than it should.

__________

i swear to god every I write a chapter for this book I feel lonely pls i just want a midoriya in my life I want a hug from him

ps; I'm aware that almost every chapter consists of pure angst and masuyo crying all the time and that's what I've already planned. Fluffy scenes wont be written unless there's like one or two idk it depends on the plot. Still, this book's topics are already heavy enough as it is (I forgot to put content warning in the foreword, I'll fix that soon)