27 | ash-filled storm

TOKYO
27°C
DRIZZLING

The desire that memory could flow backwards: we take it for granted that life moves forward. But you move as a rower moves, facing backwards: you can see where you've been, but not where you're going. And your boat is steered by a younger version of you. It's hard not to wonder what life would be like facing the other way. With every click of the shutter, you're trying to press pause on your life. If only so you can feel a little more comfortable moving on living in a world stuck on play.

It feels surreal when Masuyo's in her office room doing a commission piece for a client overseas. Feeling as if it were one of those first few days when she moved here. That was almost two years ago, and now, she's almost turning twenty. Not that her birthday's coming soon, but it's already another year incoming so that's...that.

It's been...three months, ever since she picked herself up with the help of Midoriya. Having the courage to finally tell him about the crumbling heart in her chest, the courage to finally look in the mirror and say, it's okay. You're not alone anymore. Because she really isn't. Even if there are days when she'll break and the rain pours on her, Midoriya will be there—he'll be there because it's him. He's her umbrella. Her prince at the balcony. Her hero.

As much as Masuyo admires him, she knows—she knows that deep down...she finds herself spacing out in the middle of her work, thinking—what is this? What is this? It flares. It blooms. It hurts too much, hurts too good. Why, why? Why her? Why him? She could feel his presence right beside her, a being too strong for his own good to latch his kind soul onto her even when he's away somewhere in the duty of a hero. Her heart aches for longing, intimacy and solace. She wants him. She wants Midoriya Izuku. She wants Izuku. She wants to be selfish. She wants him to stay even after hours.

Ah.

Masuyo tilts her head and closes her eyes.

Not this...again.

Then, her phone lights up on the work table:

Midoriya Izuku
hey so um

Midoriya Izuku
idk if you remember about this but

Midoriya Izuku
remember when you mentioned you want to go to the aquarium?

Midoriya Izuku
I got tickets a while ago

Midoriya Izuku
sooo maybe if you're still up for it, we should go together! :D

A soft chuckle left her lips.

Masuyo Haru
yeah :)

Midoriya Izuku
great! So um, I'll see you later so we can plan the date

Midoriya Izuku
wait no oh god I mean the date which is the calendar? Not date as in

Midoriya Izuku
ok nvm ignore what I just said ahAh

Masuyo bursts out laughing. He's so adorable.

She put away her phone, the smile still lingering on her cheeks it almost hurt. She'd never felt this warm. This bright. This soft. It's like all the things that she sees now is nothing but a ray of light—even though it's still raining outside. Masuyo shook her head, focusing back on her commission. She drags the pen over the display screen, blending the colours and adjusting the hue balance overall. Just a few more touch-ups and she'll be done to email it to the client. The good thing about working freelance was being able to be her own boss. A lazy one that is. Not that she minds. After all, it's been...tough.