22 | crepuscular clouds

TOKYO
20°C
HEAVY RAIN

The day after—felt different.

There was something about the air in her apartment as she waits for that sole person at 8PM, sitting on the sofa with her knees to her chest. The cold air wasn't as crisp, but it whispers past her sensitive ears through the balcony window. Masuyo watched as ash grey clouds float by—dark as ever, she thinks.

Despite being the wielder of a cursed power, it was also a weakness unfortunate enough for someone like her. If there was a parallel universe of her out there, she would probably be viewed as a goddess who can change the weather at will or even conquer the world. It has both good and bad, but she wanted neither of them. If her dreams were altered in the past in this universe, then, maybe she would become a hero to fight back natural disasters.

The possibilities are endless. And Midoriya...would be thrilled if he'd known about this.

Speaking of which, a figure floats up upon the balcony, hovering on the ground before deactivating his quirk. Masuyo looks away instinctively, still wondering why—why he still wanted to come over when yesterday's battle ripped off the band-aid she's been sticking for so long.

It wasn't as if she was ashamed of her quirk but ashamed of how selfish she is to be human. To be free to let go. To feel pain rather than keeping it in. Back home, she didn't have the privilege to be real but to be a fragile bottle vacuuming all of her emotions.

And the result of it? Her rage storms in the rain.

Everything is let out through the rain.

What can save her? Who can save her?

That's when the topic of Midoriya Izuku comes in.

Her eyes glued to the way he turns his back on her, shrugging off his wet, inner black shirt, revealing the freckled skin of his back, the refined muscles worth of intense training and the dimples poking on his back. The boy then grabs a fresh white shirt from the couch opposite her where Masuyo had prepared for him routinely and wore it over his head.

If this were a normal day, she'd be in the kitchen or her room giving him the privacy to change because he was hell-bent on it. But Midoriya was quiet and so was she. It's as if none of that mattered now. After he spent consoling her for hours after her sister left, they both didn't say goodbye. Just the squeeze of a hand before letting go.

Midoriya didn't turn around right away. He just stands there, one metre away from her, staring at the empty white wall in front of him. From Masuyo's point of view, she could barely read off him. For the first time, she couldn't prepare herself for what he's about to say, and it nerved her a little, causing her to chew the inside of her mouth anxiously. She starts bouncing her legs, trying to calm her heart that's on the verge of leaping out of its ribcage.

"I couldn't sleep."

She almost jumped at the sudden voice, immediately looking up, but he was still turned away from her.

"I couldn't stop thinking about it. About you." Her heart began to pound. "I thought it was just shock but...my mind was blank the entire time. It's as if I was in a daze after hearing what that woman said..."

Masuyo could feel herself trembling by the end of his sentence. Was it fear? No, it shouldn't be, right? Midoriya is a kind person. He's not that kind of person, right?

"There's a case that's been ongoing for the past few months and it's about the cause of unnatural rain." Masuyo bit her lip when it starts quivering. Tears start to coat her eyes. "People couldn't rely on the news anymore due to its unpredictability. Scientists and experts were starting to think it could be the cause of a villain or a random citizen. And to think it'd be you...right in front of my eyes all this time..."

A sob breaks through Masuyo's lips, making her acknowledge the fact that she's already crying.

"I-I'm sorry..." She whimpers, tears spilling as she frantically wipes them away, frustrated and tired. "Sorry..."

After what felt like a long time, Midoriya finally turns around to face her, and god he looked awful. Dark circles inked the skin under his eyes as well as red whites. They looked as if they were cried out all night than sleep. The emerald shine was there, but reduced to a shard. Other than that, despite the current situation, he looks beautiful. He always has. Masuyo didn't know why she's thinking this now. But he's always, always means something to her. Something more.

And right now. He's going to leave her. He's going to do exactly what she thought of if he ever finds out that she was responsible for Tokyo's failing nature and unfortunate accidents.

"What are you sorry for?" Midoriya meets her worried, wet eyes. "Sorry for being human? Sorry for letting go of your emotions? Sorry for being you? There's nothing to be sorry for, Masu-chan."

Then, Masuyo cries harder, frantically trying to stop her tears from flowing. Did she hear him correctly? Why did he speak in such a gentle tone? Why didn't he sound angry when he should be? Why does he sound so kind? Why? Why?

"No, no!" She sobs, shaking her head, covering her face with her palms. "You're not supposed to say that! You're supposed to hate me! You're supposed t-to turn me in!"

She hears footsteps rushing towards her, feeling a sudden warmth from close proximity. Yet, she didn't dare to peel her hands away.

"I don't know what is your family's history, but I do know that you can't do everything on your own. You need to accept that I care about you. That I want to help, want to take care of you. Just because your quirk affected a lot of people doesn't mean I'm going to leave you. It doesn't mean I should treat you differently. What matters is you and only you."

What is this?

"Everything made sense. Your outbursts, the lightning, the intensity of rainfall..."

Warm hands wrap around Masuyo's small wrists, gently peeling them away from her tear-streaked face, revealing her red, puffy eyes. He knew she was a mess, but that didn't stop him from giving her a smile. Midoriya was kneeling in front of the sofa to level their gaze.

"It must have been painful for you, isn't it? I'm sorry I wasn't there for you sooner. Now, let me take care of you."

Midoriya cradles her wet cheek.

"Let me love you."

__________

*writing this knowing I lack treatment of love which resulted in me giving my oc what I didnt have* *cries*