18 | frightful lull

TOKYO
25°C
LIGHT RAIN

The moment you realize that you're currently happy—consciously trying to savour the feeling—which prompts your intellect to identify it, pick it apart and put it in context, where it will slowly dissolve until it's little more than an aftertaste.

When the rain dies down and the temperature warms up, Masuyo Haru was acutely aware of the warmth surrounding her unpredictable smiles and heartful skips around Midoriya Izuku. It was when she wakes up one morning with nothing but a bit of sunlight lighting up her room, the distant yet enveloping humid wind entering through the gap of her opened window. Although there was still a little bit of drizzle, it feels like the morning of their first summer.

Spring's almost over—where cherry blossoms no longer bloom but wilts and vivid green leaves morph to shades of the golden sun. Masuyo could see smiles everywhere she goes—the supermarket, cafes, offices and parks. People walking around Tokyo was starting to look up, abandoning their umbrellas just to free the burden of its weight from their hands.

There were barely puddles, but the raindrops are still there trickling down someone's favourite flower shop, blessing the once flooded roses with a peck of droplet and sun rays. It wasn't as hustling as before when people used to rush over to shelters for refuge, but now, the city moves slower and glows brighter.

Masuyo smiles a little as she stands by the traffic light, waiting to cross the road as she was on her way to the supermarket near her apartment. Her plans for that evening were to cook her favourite dinner which was something she hasn't eaten since she left her hometown.

Deep down, behind that smile has a weight that it carries. As much as she tries to savour the feeling of being grateful for bright days like this, bad days lasts longer than happiness.

She's happy around Midoriya, but how long can she last? (How long can he last?)

Masuyo shakes her head, ridding of negative thoughts. She starts walking across the road when the green man appeared, making her way towards the supermarket. She no longer attempted to step foot in Neoma, in which she never did even once—because the anxiety pooling in her stomach would leak out if she ever sees Maki.

At least it stops her from constantly eating instant ramen all the time. She could still buy some from where she's going now. But today, she wants to cook. She wants to be productive. So she grabs a basket by the entrance, entering the grocery market with a huff, darting her eyes around as the area's separated into sections.

Masuyo gathered whatever she could remember from the recipe, sometimes stopping in the middle of the aisle to google a certain ingredient on her phone, groaning when some particular item went out of stock or just didn't sell any. After she was done, she strolls to the counter before grabbing a few snacks along the way, then felt her phone vibrating in her pocket. Masuyo took it out to see a text from Midoriya.

Midoriya Izuku
I got off patrol early today!! I'll drop by Lattest to get some carrot cake! Mirko-san's recommendation :D see you! ^^

A smile automatically forms on her lips as soon as she saw the text, grinning so wide she didn't notice she was already in line to be served by the staff. The girl mutters a small apology at her clumsiness, though later she waits as her thoughts linger on the green boy she came to adore.

She bit her lip, staring down at the ground as the sound of the groceries being scanned filled her ears, trying not to smile over something trivial, but the scarlet-haired girl knew more than anyone that the joy Midoriya brings her was an opportunity for her to finally move forward and dance in the sunlight again.