35 | mistful skies

TOKYO
19°C
PARTLY CLOUDY

The thing about hospitals is that you're either getting better or getting worse.

Masuyo was standing between both—a metaphoric purgatory stuck in the real world but not quite moving with the rest of society. She was simply bedridden—mentally-bedridden until she waits for the doctor to announce when she could leave the snow-pale room.

It wasn't like her apartment was any different from hospitals. Both are plain, full of cream and white furnishings that would bore children and urge them to summon crayons from their fingers to paint the world rainbow. Other than the vase of forget-me-nots and the blue sky colouring her vision, the television was on, all full of weather reports and tedious shows.

"The weather today continues to shine compared to a few weeks ago when a thunderstorm almost wipes off the streets of Tokyo. Experts don't have the answer to this drastic change, but they assured the public that it doesn't relate to climate change. Investigations are still ongoing on whether this was the cause of a quirk or—"

"Masuyo Haru?"

The girl snaps her head towards the familiar voice of her doctor, striding in with a folder in their arm, closing the door before making their way towards her bed. Masuyo naturally turns down the volume of the television, hearing out on what they have to say.

"Are you alright? Anything unusual for the past few hours or so?" They said, starting to flip through the papers.

"Nothing. I'm fine." She managed a smile, fidgeting with the remote. Her head injury wasn't major, but the impact it took on her weak body was unexplainable.

"That's good to hear," they nodded. "I have...a number of things I need to inform you regarding your condition and treatment. I hope you don't mind me explaining for the next few minutes. If you have any questions, save it for last."

Masuyo had a bad feeling. She nodded anyway.

"We did a scan in the ICU when you came in with a minor concussion. Although it's minor, it usually takes a day for an average person to wake up. However, it's a rare case for you to wake up only almost a week later." The doctor hands out a photo to Masuyo as she gingerly takes a look. "Because of this, we did an MRI scan on your brain...and concluded that you are diagnosed with major depression based on the abnormalities we've seen."

Her lips were completely shut, not that she can ask anything anyway. Masuyo saw this coming if she were to be hospitalized, and of all injuries, it has to be the head.

"Although, that's not all. You're diagnosed with compulsive behaviour and borderline personality disorder."

The doctor paused, seemingly letting Masuyo take it all in for a moment before continuing. The wine-haired girl already knew before they even told her—because she knew herself more than anyone else. Although it was never official, she knew there was something wrong with her ever since day one. Her parents never understood. Her sisters never understood. No one understood but her. No one understood but...him.

"...with that, we're offering therapy and alternative ways of medication. You're more than welcome to decline and be provided with suppressants, but the progress may be ineffective. I strongly suggest you take another day to think about our offer. You're discharging in two days after all." Masuyo hands back the brain scan to them, nodding in comprehension. "Any questions?"

"Um...no. Not at all." She smiles thinly.

"Then I'll take my leave. Rest well, Masuyo-san."

The doctor leaves.