17 | mellow stars

TOKYO
24°C
LIGHT RAIN

All her life, Masuyo never knew how to smile properly.

Growing up, she's always been told: why do you always look so gloomy? Come on, smile.

Masuyo would respond with a half-assed smile or laughs it off.

But in the back of her mind, she always wonders why people are so nice that they have to be nosy. So what if she looks gloomy? She doesn't know how to smile ever since she was a kid. In which she remembers the first time she took an ID photo for a passport. She was around five years old when the photographer sheepishly tells her to smile after countless times of asking. In the end, her first passport was a little girl with a frown.

Not that it's a big deal, but it became an issue along the path upon growing up. Even if she tried to smile, it was never a genuine one. Such phenomenal can only be captured when she sees the stars, collect her figurines and when she laughs—which is already a rare thing these days.

Or perhaps it centers around the topic called the "Resting Bitch Face"—personally, Masuyo found this as the perfect excuse whenever someone mentions about the oh-so-sad look on her sunny face.

However, this fact became part of the reason why she refuses to look in the mirror in the morning.

Masuyo knows she's always frowning. Has this weird feeling of gravity constantly tugging the corners of her lips downwards and anchor it's weight to her heart. No matter how many times she tries to stretch them back up into a curvy, pretty smile—it'll always look peculiar and ugly.

Masuyo knew that. She knew that more than anyone. So why can't everyone shut the fuck up about it?

It has always been an annoying cycle of school mornings and family occasions where classmates and relatives point out that unpleasant trait of hers as if it's not normal. Hell, it'll probably be a miracle if she does.

That's why Masuyo hates having a social life. Not to the point that she wants to be alone all the time. Sometimes it gets lonely, but she always has the initiative to light up small talks with the people she knew. The result of having people all around her telling her to smile ends up pitiful. And it breaks her heart knowing that the reason why she's always looking down at the concrete because she grew in an environment where it's always the sound of arguments and cold harsh words.

Maybe, just maybe, now she can feel her lips naturally lifting at the sight of Izuku. Right. Midoriya Izuku.

It's random and fleeting thoughts like these that made her realize about herself ever since meeting him. It didn't matter if it's a special day or anything. It just so happened when the two of them are sitting on the rooftop of her apartment under the cloudy night sky.

Midoriya came over as usual, bringing popcorn and iced coffee—no ramen this time because he said he didn't want to ruin her health. And Masuyo actually chuckled at that. So natural. It led her to this train of thought about her frowns and smiles.

The greenie suggested hanging out above her apartment to watch the stars, though unfortunately, it was hard to see due to the rain clouds that hindered the potentially fascinating constellations and planets scattered across the firmament. Midoriya carried her bridal style so abruptly that she yelped and float towards the roof. Masuyo hit his arm after that, not that it hurt anyway when the boy cackled in return.

The two had been sitting there for the past one hour talking about their first day of high school, favourite movies, guilty pleasures, political views and almost anything that first came to their minds. The weather was cold as usual, with a few raindrops here and there. It was breezy when they're at the top with no walls to block the chilly breeze. But it was fine.