19 | thunder soother

TOKYO
17°C
HEAVY RAIN

Masuyo was the epitome of cratered moons, the dwarfed planets, the scattered asteroids and the secret door underneath the basement.

All in which have one thing in common: castaways.

They were the ships once sailing on the ocean sea to discover the world, having distinctive people boarding it as they come and go, leaving holes and memories and piled up plates of fishes. It was only until a storm that everyone abandons ship and left it floating aimlessly within violent waves, the sharp winds tearing the woods apart as it turns into a shipwreck, drowning and debris washing ashore.

And the same people that once board the ship was her own family.

The problem with her home back then was not all of the horrible things that were said or done; rather, it was all of the horrible things that needed to be said and done but weren't. And it shows from the way Masuyo has been living for more than a year. She lives alone, yes, but was she truly healing? No. Probably.

How can one heal when the unforgivable things that stabbed her heart countless times were not yet forgiven? There are many things Masuyo can think of, but one thing for sure is that the girl was born to be someone worth living in this world.

Her eyes are meant for discovering, her ears are meant for musical phenomenon, her heart was meant for happiness—but why did the people who she once called family broke those expectations?

No one did anything but watch as the young girl threw a tantrum in her room, eyes that tells nothing but egos and selfishness as Haru struggles to breathe, cheeks red and puffy with frustration gritting through her teeth.

"What's wrong?" One of her older sisters says when she stopped by the door with everyone else witnessing the mess she created. As someone who finds passion in collecting her favourite figurines, ends up thrashing them on the floor, causing the limbs to break off, wasting the money she saved for her little hobbies.

"Dunno. We were just talking, then suddenly she got angry." The other responded, tone blunt that it made the blood boil in Haru's veins. "Crazy bitch..."

A bottle was thrown on the wall beside her, causing her to flinch, though it only angered her more.

"What the fuck's wrong with you?!" The sibling glares at her in disgust.

"SHUT UP!" Haru screams so loud that her throat dried up, making it clear that the neighbours could hear, but she didn't care one bit. She was tired. She was drained. She was tired of being treated like this. Why is she always being treated like shit? Why? Why is it that the people who broke her heart constantly were the people closest to her?

"GET OUT! GET OUT OF MY FUCKING ROOM! I'M SICK OF YOU! ALL OF YOU!"

Fat tears stream down her flushed face, eyes so puffy that Haru was sure she would wake up the next day looking like shit. Her eyesight's too blurry and it couldn't be helped when every part of the room was littered with pillows, broken figurines and a flipped chair. Her room's just as messy as her soul.

The dream-like memory must have been too emotional to forget that she ends up jolting awake with tears already wetting her cheeks, but they were soon covered by big, warm hands.

"You're okay. You're okay." Midoriya's voice heats at her ears while he wipes away the tears on her cheeks, cupping them close. One of Masuyo's hands grabbed hold one of his, and it was then that a sob broke out of her lips.

Masuyo's eyes couldn't focus, but she feels herself leaning towards him, his chest, and buries her face into it, feeling the comforting warmth that once soothed her during rainy nights, and still is as she hears the downpour outside. She figures that the boy found her lying on the cold hard floor and brought her to the bed, waiting for her to wake and perhaps spark a conversation on how it happened.

However, there's nothing to say anyway when Masuyo's in his arms, wailing like there's no tomorrow. The cracks in her voice say it all, the tightened grips on his chest, the desperation of feeling Midoriya's warmth. That's all it takes for her to convey to Midoriya what's wrong, unlike the people from what she once called home.

Midoriya's arms were naturally big enough to envelop Masuyo completely, and when he hears her cry harder at some point for whatever reason, he rocks the both of them on the side of the bed, causing the little ugly noises to die down, leaving anything but sniffles and choked sighs from her lips.

The scarlet girl closes her eyes, listening to the pounding heart of her saviour. It's loud and steady and alive. It's constant and sometimes skipping when she snuggles closer when they were already close, but it wasn't enough—nothing's ever enough. For her.

"Masu-chan," she ignores him. Instead, she kept her eyes shut, tired but wills to stay awake from listening to his heart. A heart too big for her hands.

"Hey," he murmurs, bringing one of his hand to tilt her chin, to look at him.

She finally opens her eyes, staring into emerald green eyes that's similar yet so different from hers—olive green. Their faces were so close she could practically feel his breath over her lips. The distance's intimate, yet his round eyes were firm and soft—kind, that it almost makes her want to cry again.

"What happened?" He says in a whisper, as if afraid his normal voice would crack a skin on her, breaking her façade again and cause her to tremble and cry. And the gesture itself made her lips wobble from the urge to burst into tears again. And Masuyo hates it. She hates it when she cries too much. Especially in front of him.

It just means making Midoriya worry about her more and more, even though deep down she wanted people to know that she's in pain and needed help. But how can she when she keeps pushing people away? Why can't she just accept them? Why can she allow herself to be comforted and not tell them what was the root of the problem?

"Nothing." She replies with a sad smile and sad eyes.

With that, she could see the tiniest bit of hurt in his heroic gaze.

Still, he gave her a gentle smile and brings her head to his chest again.

"Okay."

__________

ok I almost cried writing this chapter bc real life sucks lol but anyway this is the last chapter of me being active because school starts tomorrow and since it's time-consuming as hell, I can only update in 3 months when it's finally a 1 month break :( see yall in 3 months :(((