32 | tottering skies

TOKYO
15°C
THUNDERSTORM

For the first time in years, this specific thunderstorm almost convinced Midoriya that he was experiencing a typhoon.

Unlike other rainy days, this was the most atrocious and violent—though not in a way that roofs are torn off, but the kind where the winds felt like a force that feels like a simple breath taken by gods, but for a mortal, they could barely withstand it. Newspapers are flailing away, umbrellas are useless, a few cars were turned over. The hero watched as civilians struggle to keep themselves grounded, lifting their hands to their temples as an attempt to perceive their path. Midoriya bit his lip, rushing over to every civilian in sight, immediately wrapping his arms around their waist to guide them to the nearest shelter where many people had gathered.

Some pro heroes were around to guide the helpless, paramedics arrived at the scene just as the storm got worse, everyone within the expertise of a helping hand scattering all over to simmer the worries in innocent eyes and tired frowns. Midoriya turned around to face the glass doors that were barely holding it together, trembling and making a raucous noise. His entire costume that clung to his skin was soaked to the bone, reminding him of the early days where the city was failing to maintain the tragedies popping up from such weather. Back then, the boy had no knowledge except news from scientists and theories.

But today, the thunderstorm was no simple casualty.

Midoriya pushed open the door, hearing a faint warning from a pro hero behind him about keeping the door close, and steps into the zone of life and death. A streetlight could fall at any moment from how they bend dangerously from the strong wind, but he paid no mind. His body was brought on autopilot, the memory ingrained in his brain signalling his legs to walk down the street where everything started. When he reached Neoma, its neon sign flickering, that's when Midoriya looks up to the building opposite it, blinking profusely due to the raindrops hindering his sight.

Although, at the thought of her, he couldn't tell if he was crying.

This wasn't just another thunderstorm. It's Masu-chan that needs help.

However, just as he was planning to make his way to her, the rain gradually stopped, and so does the grey clouds. Sun rays immediately fill the shadows hidden within the alleys and roads, as if this sudden change of weather was like All Might changing the weather in one punch.

Dread clenched at Midoriya's heart, eyes widening.

There are only two possibilities: one, Masuyo took those pills to sleep. Two, Masuyo...

Not wanting to finish his train of thought, Midoriya scrambles to run into the alley beside the building, then launches himself off the ground, already floating around the top floor the second he jumped. He lands on the balcony, heart stuttering in his chest as he frantically tries to peek into the glass door as the curtains covering the view of the apartment was still drawn.

Masu-chan. Masu-chan.

He worries as his green eyes dart around, enclosing his hands against the door to block the sunlight from glaring into the glass. Midoriya took that chance to search for anything out of place within that ten-inch gap of the curtains.

Red.

Midoriya lets out a choked gasp, stepping away from the balcony door. It was still dark to see, but enough to know that the red is as deep as crimson. His thought process almost went haywire, but took deep uneven breaths to calm down before he easily shattered the door to unlock it, sliding it to the side before drawing the curtains out to let the sunlight enter the dark apartment for a better view.