08 | sun rays

TOKYO
25
°C
LIGHT RAIN

Masuyo stands on her veranda, letting the dead skies shower on the shell of hollowed love and puppet skin. Her hands were resting on the metal railing, looking out to the pouring city and dashing cars down the little trails of roads—a goddess looking out to the horizons of humans, having the capability to rid of sinful ones with a bolt of lightning if she wishes.

However, the disappointment of being unable to fly, unable to stretch out her arms and vault into the air, having finally shrugged off the ballast of her own weight and ignited the fuel tank of unfulfilled desires she's been storing up since before she was born; results in an unforeseen life she's hazily leading, unaware of her choices that led up to a complex of bottled feelings and unshed tears.

As she thought to herself—that rain is a constant reminder that she's in pain—she wonders; if suffering is inevitable, if her problems in life are unavoidable, then the question she should be asking is not "How do I stop suffering?" but "Why am I suffering—for what purpose?".

If Masuyo threw away her past and came to Tokyo to live a healthy and better life, why does she still feel like she's suffering? Why hasn't it stopped? Why does she feel worse before she could feel better?

Perhaps on the days that green boy in red shoes flies up to her home, to gift her a bag of the little things Masuyo finds comfort in, a distraction; he made her realize that her suffering hasn't stopped. Especially when she realized how prominent his kindness left a strong impression on her, that her pain hasn't been deduced in so long.

The more he visited her intending to leave her with a bag of love, the painful it is for her to long for a cure of her unresolved choices and loneliness.

Unsurprised, forest curls came into view as he floats up. When he noticed Masuyo idly leaning over the railing with a blank expression, his body flails in surprise and panic, a loud yelp in the rain. He probably didn't expect her to be out in the rain, but was expecting her to be in the apartment resting or absent in view.

Still, the situation didn't faze her. Instead, she steps away from the railing to let him land on the floor, noticing the way he looks away nervously with a hand on his neck. Her eyes glance at the bag he was holding, heart warming up as always at his kind actions.

Turning around, Masuyo pulls open the door, wordlessly inviting him in as she went straight to the bathroom to get a towel for him. The girl thought it'd be nice to return the favour by offering her hospitality—even though she sucked at meeting new people—but it's the least she could do as someone who was barely understood. No one but she can understand her. No matter how kind they are. No matter how good their intentions may be.

Walking back to the living room with a clean towel in hand, she sees him trying to reach for the zipper on the nape of his neck. His arm was in an awkward angle, though he tugged on it with force—the zipper was stuck. His back was facing her and it seems he has yet to notice the owner of the apartment. Seemingly he's trying to get out of his hero costume due to the rain that made it uncomfortable and sticky to wear, so Masuyo nonchalantly steps in to help.

Draping the towel on her shoulder, she reaches for the zipper, his body halting and tensing when noticing she's in range. Knowing that she's trying to help, his gloved hands relaxed and retreated to the front, hearing him let out a shaky sigh, picturing him closing his eyes at the warmth between their proximity. Masuyo slightly blushes at this.

She pulls down the zipper until it reaches the base of his spine, not too low for obvious reasons—again, she tries to ignore the warmth in her cheeks. When she leans away, letting the boy shrug off the top of his suit, only wearing a black tank top underneath, Masuyo hopes the lack of light in the room hides the obvious rose blooming on her face when her gaze fell on his trained biceps, toned arms moving around to tie the sleeves of his suit around his waist.