20 | cyrotic hearts

TOKYO
18°C
HEAVY RAIN

Nothing—she said with a smile he knew too well and lets it break his heart.

Heroes never cry. In fact, one shouldn't. But how can he, Midoriya Izuku, who has countlessly witnessed Masuyo lying to herself every single day that she's okay? Every word that slips past her lips sounds like a song that's gentle and moving to convince the whole world that Masuyo is gracefully living despite the flaws he had seen.

But the rain—the rain—the rain that comes and almost goes every single fucking day convinced him that no. She's not okay. Masu-chan is not okay. She's never okay no matter the good days she spent. No matter how many times Midoriya came over with her favourite snacks and homecooked food to at least see her smile before he leaves for the night. No matter how much time they've spent on the rooftop talking about their favourite heroes and quotes. No matter how excited they both were when thinking about going to the sea aquarium one day.

Fuck. Tears pricked the corners of his eyes, teeth gritting out of frustration and uncontrollable sadness that tugs at his heart. A small hiccup jumped at his throat when he lets go of the urge to cry, tears flowing down his cheeks as one of his hands carefully caressed Masuyo's cheek.

He looks down on the wine-haired girl, snuggled on the scarred hand that belongs to him, quietly scrutinizing her puffy eyes caused by an emotion he doesn't have the right to understand—yet, Midoriya wished he understands.

What happened? Why were you crying? Why did you look like a little girl who had run away from home?

Yet, Masuyo had only answered him with a lie.

It's okay. You can tell me. It's just me. Am I still not helpful enough?

Midoriya lets out a huge sigh as he looks up, eyes becoming puffy from crying too much in a short time. Though every inch of his face burned with helplessness despite the hand that's trying to comfort her through her sleep.

What should I do?

He brings a clenched fist to his face.

What should I do?

Muffled sobs left his lips.

Was it ever his fault that they trusted each other to take their time opening up? Was it selfish of him that he wanted to know more about the girl he saved from the pouring rain? Was it too late when there are days Midoriya found himself staring at the rare smiles on her lips for a little too long? Was it selfish of him to want to fill the emptiness of this lonely apartment for her sake?

The time shown on the bedside table was 1AM, and it has been five hours that the greenette stayed sitting on the bed, listening to the rumbling rain for the nth time. At this point, Midoriya gave up trying to find an answer behind the unnatural pattern of the weather when his top priority these days was to care for Masuyo.

His legs had gotten numb but he never dared move an inch to break the tranquil slumber the girl was getting. He doesn't want to. He's scared. He's worried. He's never seen his Masu-chan so broken when he stepped foot into the quiet apartment.

The two had always made dinner for each other after Midoriya's done with patrol. Sometimes they order take-out. But today was supposed to be an exception—he, however, seemed a little too excited than usual to see her. Maybe because he got tickets for both of them to visit the aquarium.

He thought, maybe he could finally see a real, sunny and blitheful smile he's never seen from her before.

But then, there's always something that ruins the moment that's been building up to this point of their relationship. And he's aware. Midoriya's aware of what they are. Just friends. Perhaps a little closer than that. But these days, to him, he has this warmth and desire tugging at his heart to be closer and never let go.

To save her no matter what. To at least be there for her.

Because it breaks him whenever he noticed the distant frown that lingers on her lips when he turns to the balcony to leave. But with the state they're currently in, Midoriya's starting to doubt whether she deserves to be saved by him when he's useless.

The boy glances back at the unconscious girl. Biting his lip anxiously, he shifts around to get into a comfortable position without removing his hand from hers. Wiping off his tears with his free hand, he then reached out for the blanket, putting it over the both of them. Midoriya observed her again, bringing his hand to tuck away a strand, but he freezes when he sees a single tear streaming down her face. His throat tightens from the urge to weep again.

No. It's okay. I'm here.

How pitiful. To have a bad dream after a bad day.

Midoriya wraps his arm around her and brings her close, carefully placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

In the end, two broken hearts slept together in peaceful distraction, safe from reality. For now.

________

hello I'm back!! hehe it's been what, 3-4 months? sorry if this chapter's shorter than usual. I'm rusty lol.