CHAPTER 20

⚠️T.W.⚠️
This chapter contains scenes of overdose and self-harm.

I smiled at Matthias who caught my eye as he walked into the room. Everyone was sitting down to eat breakfast and I was currently sorting out mine, Zara's and Matthias' breakfast.
The dining room was very lively this morning, probably because Iris and Grayson were back from their honeymoon.
"Here you go." I passed Matthias' plate over to him as he came and stood in front of me. I smiled sweetly at him.
"Thank you Caterina." He whispered and suddenly leaned over to me. I held my breath as I wondered what he was up to. I placed my hand on his arm and he leant back, winking at me before creating some space between us. I glanced at the glass cup he held in his hand and I blushed.

He was only going to grab a cup and here I thought he was going to kiss me. To distract myself, I looked away from him and to the table and frowned as I saw that Zara wasn't there.

"Where's Zara?" I asked everyone and they stopped their conversation, looking around.
"I think she's still asleep. Ethan left early this morning to go buy something for her. I'll go wake her up." Iris stood up out of her seat and went to wake Zara up.

I turned back to Matthias who was still stood next to me.
"That wasn't very nice of you." I chastised Matthias and he smirked in return.
"Mhm. Well-"

Not even two seconds later, we heard a bloodcurdling scream from upstairs. I almost dropped my plate at the severity of the scream and gulped. Everyone froze and Marcello, Grayson and Sebastian shot out of their seats instantly.
"Stay here." Warned Marcello to us cautiously. Eleonora stood up out of her seat, looking up at the ceiling worriedly.
"Caterina, stay here." Matthias said firmly as he held my shoulders. I looked at him worriedly and he squeezed my shoulders.
"Stay." He placed his plate down before running up the stairs quickly.

There was a loud commotion upstairs and I instinctively went towards Eleonora. I held onto her arm and she stroked my back soothingly. A few minutes had passed and we heard low murmurs and footsteps. I could hear Iris' cries as she was sobbing and I wondered what was going on.

Is she okay? Is Zara okay? Please God, let them both be okay.

"I'm going up." Said Eleonora suddenly and everyone looked at her in surprise.
"I'm coming too." I squeezed Eleonora's arm and she looked like she was about to stop me, but I shook my head.
"I need to see what's going on and to see if anyone is hurt."

Eleonora nodded and me and a few others walked upstairs. There was a quiet and eerie silence added in with Iris' muffled sobs and I gulped.

Zara and Ethan's room door was open. I couldn't see anything as everyone started to block the door, trying to see what was happening. I was about to make my way through when Matthias came and stood in front of me. Iris' cries were getting louder and Matthias held me back.

"M-Matthias? What's going on?" I asked and I saw grief stricken his face. I tried to go past him but he gripped onto me tighter, preventing me from making my way past him.

"I-I can't let you in Caterina." He sounded like he was in pain and my heart rate picked up. I tried looking over his shoulder, but all I could see were people's heads. I heard Eleonora's gasp as she entered the room.
"Oh my goodness!" I heard her cry and I snapped my head to look at Matthias.

"Matthias, p-please. Let me in, I have to see what's going on." I begged and he bit his lip anxiously, glancing at the floor. His grip loosened and I pushed my way past everyone.
My heart slammed against my chest as I entered the room.

My eyes glossed over and I gasped as I saw Iris hunched over Zara's unconscious body. Her body seemed to be covered in blood and I saw the slashes against her arms and neck. My eyes caught onto a bottle of pills knocked over, half the contents missing.

No.

No.

"No." I whispered to myself as I dropped to my knees. I placed my shaking hand on Zara's arm. My lip quivered as I stared at her pale face. She was laying lifelessly on the floor and my heart felt like it was getting physically torn apart.

"S-she-" I couldn't finish my sentence as I gulped the massive lodge that seemed to be stuck in my throat and broke down. I cried endlessly as I realised that Zara had taken her own life.

We all heard Angelo's cries as he seemed to be wondering why everyone was gathered in here and why his mum was laying on the floor, not responding to his cries.

"There's no heartbeat." Marcello announced and Iris snapped her head to look at him.
"No! Sh-she can't be! She must be breathing. W-we need to call an ambulance, no that'll take too long, we need to get her to the hospital now!" Screamed Iris and I broke down even more at her tone.

Marcello glanced at Grayson and Matthias worriedly before nodding.
"Z-Zara. She-" I started, but I couldn't seem to speak again. I felt arms wrap around me from behind and I felt Matthias' familiar presence around me. I clung onto his shirt as I cried. He comforted me, but it didn't take away the pain from seeing Zara's body.

"Please! Please get her to the hospital!" Cried Iris and Grayson went towards her to escort her out.

We all knew deep down that that wasn't possible.

She's gone.

Zara's gone.

She's not coming back.

I gulped in large intakes of breath as I seemed to lose the ability to breathe properly. I felt Matthias glance down at me, looking troubled and I tucked my head in his chest, seeking warmth.

I felt Matthias support my body to stand up as he led me out of the room. I turned my head around to look at Zara's body, her hand only visible to me now as she disappeared from my view completely. I screwed my eyes shut and clenched Matthias' shirt tightly and sobbed.

I felt Matthias pause and I turned my head back around, my gaze falling on Ethan.

He looked distressed as he stood there, staring at all of us. In his hands he held a bouquet of flowers and I felt my heart clench painfully for him.
"W-what's going on?"

Seeing Ethan stand there triggered something in me and I started to cry more as my body visibly shook.
"Caterina, let's go." Matthias practically carried me away before I could see Ethan's reaction.

Zara.

Why?

Why?!

A/N:
.......
Well...
So I've been wanting to update for a while and especially on Christmas as well, but I didn't want to update this particular chapter on Christmas Day so I'll admit that I had been prolonging this specific update.
What do you guys think about this chapter?
Hope you guys enjoyed and stay safe!
Vote! Comment! Share!
Until then