PROLOGUE

Matthias is 16 and Caterina is 15 in this part of the story.

9 years ago

"Matthias!" I whispered softly, my gaze not leaving his. I couldn't look away, his gaze was in intense and making me feel things I had never felt before.
We heard a noise behind us and the shouting of some men. My eyes widened in panic and I looked at Matthias nervously. He grabbed my hand and we both ran as far away as we could from Marcello's men.
Matthias was always up to no good, he was cheeky and like to cause trouble at times, but this is what made me admire him. Just five minutes ago, Matthias had decided to drag me along to one of Marcello's clubs. We weren't supposed to be here as ordered by Marcello, but Matthias never listened. Me and Matthias had snuck into some of the mens' rooms and misplaced their things, and Matthias even went as far as setting up some pranks on the men, like throwing in a stink bomb etc...
It was my first time doing something like this and I was on edge and terribly nervous the whole time, but I was enjoying myself. When I thought that enough had been enough, Matthias decided to go the extra mile and crawl on the floor and tie some of the mens' shoelaces together.

I giggled as we ran, hearing the shouts and angry yells from the people at the club behind us. We didn't stop running until we got to the villa.
"Come round the back." He said and tugged my hand. I followed him and frowned as he looked up at my bedroom window.
"Matthias! I can't climb up there! I'll fall." I exclaimed, already knowing what was going through his head. He stood there thinking for a moment.
"Get on my back, I'll carry you up there." He said determinedly, but I was still hesitant.
"C'mon, I'll promise that you'll be safe." He said, looking into my eyes. I climbed onto his back, and he climbed up the vines and poles quickly. Before I knew it, we collapsed onto my bedroom floor. I lay there in shock before raising my head to look at Matthias. We burst out laughing at each other's state and we couldn't stop.
"Matthias!" We both heard Marcello's voice and I snapped my gaze to Matthias' nervously. His eyes widened slightly and he got up to crouch in front of me, holding both my shoulders tightly.
"Listen I've got to go, but please cover for me?" He pleaded and I nodded, staring up at him, my cheeks slightly tinged pink at the close proximity.
"Thanks Caterina." He replied and paused. I almost spluttered out loud when he brung his head forward and pecked me on the lips, before running away.
That was my first ever kiss.
I didn't have time to compose myself as a second later, Marcello came into view. My cheeks were bright pink and he frowned slightly.
"Are you okay?" He asked and I nodded.

"It's really cold outside. I went to the shops with Grayson." I lied and he hummed slightly.

"Right, have you seen Matthias? That boy has gone and caused trouble again." Marcello sighed, rubbing his temples slightly.

"No, I just came back sorry. I haven't seen him all day." I said and he nodded and sighed before leaving.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips once he had left and my mind drifted to earlier. My lips tugged up into a small smile as I remembered Matthias kissing me. It was a little peck, but it meant so much more.

A/N:
I genuinely can't wait to start this book!!!!
Hope you enjoyed!
Vote! Comment! Share!
Started: 12/10/2020
Finished/Discontinued: 03/06/2021
Until then