CHAPTER 4

I was taken aback when the girl next to Matthias smiled warmly at everyone. He walked in and instantly everyone engulfed him.
"Matthias, I'm so glad you're back! And who's this?" Eleonora asked excitedly and Matthias kissed her cheek before putting an arm around the girl next to him.
"This is Julianna. My girlfriend." I thought I was hearing things, but I clearly wasn't as I looked at everyone's faces, and they all looked surprised. I watched as he kissed the side of her head and she smiled at him, placing her hand on his forearm.
I clenched my hands, looking away, instantly being hit with a wave of pain that didn't seem to be going away anytime soon.
That was supposed to be me in his arms.
I played around with the necklace I had on with my hand, not knowing what to do.

"Caterina." I heard Matthias' deep voice and I looked up, feeling hit with all my feelings and sparks I had for him. I smiled slightly at him, not saying anything.
"I-how are you?" He stuttered slightly.
"I'm okay." I replied. I smiled at Julianna, who gave me a sweet smile back and I turned my gaze back on Matthias.
"Enjoy the party." I said, feeling dejected. Matthias' eyes fell down to the necklace that I was playing around with and he stared at it, before averting his eyes down to the floor.

I walked away, wanting to cry, but I couldn't, everyone would question why I had disappeared so quickly. Throughout the party, I sat down in one of the high stool chairs and drank as I watched the party before me. Sebastian was sat on the table behind me and he leaned forward to speak to me. I leaned back in the chair to hear what he had to say.

"You look like you're having the time of your life." He joked slightly and I could see the smirk appear on his face.
"I am." I replied as I chucked the drink back and swallowed.
"Mhmm. And all this drinking doesn't have anything to do with a certain someone huh?" He asked and I narrowed my eyes. I was about to say something back, but he was too fast.
"This certain someone being Matthias. This is why you were so excited earlier." He said and I scoffed turning around to face him.

"Stay out of this Sebastian, you don't know anything." I snapped and he rose an eyebrow.
He leaned on my shoulder and I sighed.
"How did you even manage to find out Sebastian? I haven't told anyone at all." I asked him and he smirked.
"You make it so obvious Caterina." He said, amusedly and I glared at him.
I sipped a little bit of my drink as my eyes landed on Matthias and Julianna across the room. My heart broke watching him with another girl.
"You may want to slow down on the drinks a bit Caterina, Marcello doesn't look very happy." He said and I moved to look at Marcello to see him looking at my drink, with distaste. I huffed and rolled my eyes at Sebastian.
"Whatever." I said.
"Your mood has changed drastically from the room to now." Sebastian commented and I looked down at my drink, frowning.
"Yeah it has." I said.

"Sebastian!" I heard Matthias' voice so close to me, I almost jumped. I gripped onto my drink and kept my eyes down. I was in the middle of Sebastian and Matthias while they were catching up. However, as I kept my eyes down, I saw Matthias shift closer to me. I looked at him in surprise, my heart racing as he met my gaze. His gaze was intense and I couldn't look away until I saw some movement over his shoulder.

I broke off the contact as I saw Julianna come towards us. I frowned and set my drink on the table before getting up and leaving. I was confused by what happened today and I wanted to forget everything.

"Caterina wait." I heard Matthias voice behind me and I stopped and turned out. He came towards me and paused before sighing.

"How are you?" He asked.
"You've already asked me that before." I mentioned.
"And I'll ask again. How are you?" He questioned further and I sighed.
"I'm fine Matthias. How are you?" I asked impatiently.
"I'm good." He said, looking at me curiously.
"Matthias is there anything you wanted or can I go please?" I asked and he looked surprised.