Part 3: Alliances with flowers Part 2

Amnicity's cough brought Valander back to the room.

Valander looked at his daughter. "Yes, Nici?"

"Are you not accompanying me to midday dinner, Father? It is of great importance to Mother."

Valander met his daughter's smirk, leaning back in his chair with a sigh. A knock interrupted them.

"Come in," Valander commanded.

"So sorry to interrupt, Your Highness and Your Majesty. A letter from High General Fenellia." The young boy rushed with a slight break in his voice at moments to betray his nerves and age.

"Bring it here." The young boy who scurried to hand him the letter. "You are dismissed."

Amnicity watched the interaction with amusement. Her smile fell as her father's face transformed from agitation to vexation while reading the letter.

"The fool," he hissed, slamming the letter upon his desk.

She furrowed her eyebrows. "What is it, Father?"

"The drunken idiot has chosen a Lessure to succeed him as High General." Valander hissed without thought, causing Amnicity to furrow her eyebrow in confusion. "Never mind, let us go to this midday dinner."

Amnicity took her father's offered arm as they moved to the door. "What is wrong with a Lessure?"

"Nothing to concern you with, my dear." Valander patted her hand comfortingly. "Let us simply enjoy more of the right sort of society."

"Very well." Amnicity studied her father from the corner of her eye.  "Your intonation requires more sincerity. Mama would easily perceive your sarcasm. I would hate for you to be the one to pollute her centerpieces." Her father's boisterous amusement echoed off the walls as he opened the door.

Amnicity never understood why her father refused to have a doorman inside his office. He only allowed Henry to stay inside the office with him.  She did not know how he could live such a simple existence. 

***

Amnicity sat near her parents and the young Preenian heirs at midday dinner. She determined that Korak Fallyn had decent taste. Artistic braids framed her oval face and highlighted the contrast between the natural ash and pearl blonde tones. Korak Fallyn even chose the right shade of blue to compliment her eyes that were a shade darker than ice. Amnicity could not even find fault in her nose that was sharp but not too large for her face.

"Oh, your baker has splendid taste." Korak Fallyn smiled at Queen Christaline. Her ice-blue eyes flashed towards her brother. "Do you not agree, brother?"

Amnicity's eyes turned to Konrik Loren. His curly pale-blonde hair fell almost to his shoulders. It made his delicate facial features seem a touch more feminine than masculine.  Amnicity would not have mistaken him for a woman since his nose was more extensive around the nostrils than his sister's. She also determined his light blue eyes had a hint of warmth that made her feel at peace.

"The crust is nice." Konrik Loren murmured, taking a sip of juice.

A slow smirk became hidden behind Amnicity's napkin at Valander's exasperated sigh. Her father hated mundane conversations.

"Thank you, Korak Fallyn and Konrik Loren." Christaline smiled, placing a steadying hand near Valander's wrist that now rested upon the table.

"I agree with Konrik Loren." Amnicity started after a moment, gaining the attention of the table. "The crust is always a sign of a quality loaf. Without a good crust, how would we dip it properly?"