Part 18: Death and Diversion

Amnicity sat in the chair beside her day desk, refusing to cry. It would be a foolish thing to shed tears over silly words. She had done enough of that recently when left on her own.

She had done well to use the piano to ease her mind, but it had caused thoughts to surface faster than she could find paper to seal them away. So, today, she decided to find the journal her paternal grandmother had sent for her birthday. Unfortunately, Marie had taken it upon herself to secure the letter within the cover. Amnicity did not blame Marie for keeping the letter close to the journal. She did not know what it contained. And, did not know that Amnicity would sit here reading the letter to herself repeatedly.

My beautiful granddaughter,

It has not escaped me that we do not have an intimate understanding of one another. Your father does provide us some information regarding you and your character within each of his letters. It has provided us some image of who you are. He has told us how you have grown into an educated lady with an active imagination that will allow you to accomplish great things. I hope you fill this journal with your vision and all of the great things you accomplish.

The journey that begins tonight will bring plenty of joy and heartbreak on the way, but, child, do not lose faith. You are always within my prayers and have brought pride to your family. Thus, let the strength inherited from your kin inspire you to persevere in the moments of darkness. Let your heart never harden, securing an ability to put others before yourself. Finally, I hope you find a way to show mercy as an example for those who look to you.

Perhaps

A knock halted Amnicity's third reading. Her tears caused some of the words to smudge. Fortunately, her memory provided the letter readily.

"Come in."

Amnicity folded the letter within the folds of her journal.

"Nici!" Jace yelled, breaking Lady Elry's hold of his hand to run to her as Amnicity secured the journal within a drawer. "Sad?"

Amnicity shook her head. "It is nothing, Jace. How has your day been?"

"Scary man," Jace whispered.

"Scary—you went to see Henry?" Amnicity turned to Lady Elry.

"Your father wishes to see you," Lady Elry stated as she eyed her warily.

Amnicity stood quickly. "My father? Did you see him? How is he?"

"We never saw His Majesty. Sir Henry gave me some news from Jude," Lady Elry whispered.

Amnicity gasped and looked to her right before returning her gaze to Lady Elry. "Why have I not heard of it?"

"The messenger just left the King's study when we were walking towards them," Lady Elry soothed, pressing her lips together for a moment before continuing. "Suzerain Abran is dead."

Are we finally going to war? Amnicity thought. Her mouth went dry under the watchful gaze of her former tutor.

"Well, I—I," Amnicity trialed, swallowing. "I must see my father."

"Leaving?" Jace asked, his face displaying more of his anxiety than his words could.

"Play later," Amnicity soothed Jace.

"Let's walk, Jace." Lady Elry held out her hand.

"Walk?" Jace asked cautiously.

"Walk." Lady Elry nodded.

Jace ran to her with an open hand.

Amnicity did not let the smile fall from her lips until the door closed. They were gone. Her hands threaded one another, squeezing the tension away. She would face her father without anger or reproach, and there would be no bitterness on her face. Most importantly, she would not cry. Amnicity would show the strength and perseverance her paternal grandmother thought she could possess.