Prologue: Preparing for a wedding

Prince Valander stared at his reflection in the mirror. He adjusted the oversized piece of cloth he had been told was a necktie—one of the many things Valander did not understand in this land.  The damn thing's golden hue glistened regally in the light every time it moved.

Valander sighed.  Useless piece of cloth. I would burn it if it were not a necessity to fit in here. I will add it to the list of things to complain about to Christa later. 

Today, Prince Valander of Merce would marry Princess Christaline of Vetus. He wished it could be considered a joyous occasion. The congratulations were superficial at best. No one ever expected to have someone of his heritage within this royal family. Valander did not even initially wish to be part of the Vetusian monarchy when he got here. The prince felt every judgmental stare on him as he walked through the halls of the palace, and it made him want to leave as soon as possible.

Valander's initial mission had been to secure a trade deal with the people of Vetus. Merce would gain new resources shipped to their ports, and Vetus would acquire ships. The agreement had seemed straightforward enough. Unfortunately, things were not so simple with inflated egos involved.

The people of Vetus believed themselves superior to the people of Merce. Well, to everyone outside of their borders. Valander had seen enough from the other ruling families of this land to see that they were all one misstep from war.

Jude and Preena, Valander almost spat in his mind before quickly pushing the thoughts away.  Today he would be married.  It would do no one any good if he thought of politics.

Though, the fear of war is the reason Vetus needed the heathen Mercian ships. A trip that should have lasted two weeks became extended because of silly Vetusian politics. Thank God we finally agreed on a deal. 

The extended time did have some benefits. It left Valander time to wander the Taurean Palace and socialize with the young Vetusian heir, Princess Chistaline. Her sharp wit caused him to smile while her blue eyes stirred unexpected feelings in him.

Stupid love. We should have never fallen in love. Then I would not have to wear this stupid tie or be surrounded by these people.

Valander smirked into the mirror, thinking of Christaline's reaction when he had told her as much. His cheek still stung from her uninhibited anger. Christa did not believe her people would resent having Valander as their king one day. He did not know how people would react to having a man with his darker skin tone on the throne. Valander's father was far darker than him, while his mother had light brown skin. Valander found himself somewhere between the two with light brown eyes that were flecked with gold.

Who would have thought that the first possible King of Vetus who did not have Vetusian blood would look like me? My future mother-in-law certainly did not.

A knock sounded at the door, interrupting Valander's thoughts.

"Come in," Valander called.

"Another letter from a well-wisher." The footman bowed, extending out a piece of parchment.

Valander strode to the dark-haired man and took the letter. The footman stood near the door as if waiting to observe the young prince's reaction.

"What is your name?" Valander asked, opening the letter.

"Henry, Your Highness."

Valander nodded, turning his attention to the letter.

To the future usurper,

One day you will learn the fury of true Vetusian

Valander stopped reading the letter. He moved towards his fire and threw the message into the flames.

"Were you waiting for my reaction?" Valander turned back to the footman.

Henry glanced at the young prince in thought before nodding his head. The gaze in his brown eyes did not seem disdainful or judgmental. A fact Valander much appreciated.

"I was going to offer to deliver your response, but I see that you have taken the wiser route."

"Did it come from Queen Aliana? Princess Christaline's mother does love her little jibes," Valander sighed.

"No."

"An ally to Sir Galvan Lessure?" Valander pressed.

Henry turned his head away.

"I see." Valander walked to the window. "Queen Aliana and King Rickard can elevate him with lands, but it is still not enough for the man cast aside after being betrothed to the princess. It must be hard for Sir Lessure to watch Princess Christaline be married to a heathen like me."

Henry remained silent for a moment before clearing his throat. "You do not look heathen to me. Though, it would be wise not to speak to all servants so openly. We talk the most in the palace."

Valander snorted, "I am shocked."

"King Rickard is a good man. I believe His Highness will be happy to have you as part of the royal family. Do not be disheartened by those who judge others based upon appearances."

Valander observed Henry for a moment before nodding.

"My first act as Prince will be for you to become my assistant."

Henry's eyes widened as he raised his hands.

"Do not protest. I will need every ally beside me when doing this," Valander let out an exacerbated sigh. "This! Heavens knows what will happen if we do not procure an heir quickly with our enemies so close."

And if we have a girl, I will fear for her.

"Thank you for the honor," Henry bowed.

Valander nodded, moving to adjust his forest green vest. Henry quickly moved to assist Valander with his coat.

"I need to survive the ceremony and joining first. Have you ever had to be examined by a brother?"

Henry shook his head. "No, I am not married. I have heard that it depends on the brother for how long the examination of your uhm—appendage takes."

Valander nodded at the blushing servant.

These customs will destroy me. Christa better appreciate how much I love her.

"You are ready," Henry stated, moving to Valander's side.

Valander nodded stiffly before walking to the door. He squeezed the metal handle of the door in his hand before Henry quickly brushed his hand aside.

"Allow me." Henry moved Valander slightly to the side. "You need to become accustomed to us doing more things for you."

Valander nodded awkwardly before walking through the door.

Christaline, I am coming to you, and we will do amazing things for Vetus.

***

This serves as an introduction to what is to come.  I hope y'all enjoyed it :)

Last Edited: 7/5/21