Part 12: Dancing Forward (Part I)

Zakarus knew the plan for the ball. Unfortunately, his preparations did not include the Preenian choice of menu that stained the ladies' dresses. The Preenians would have saved his nerves some hardship if they had chosen a different menu to reduce some of these ladies' constant complaints. Every few moments, red wine, meatballs in red sauce, or the occasional rose ice cream fell upon a white gown to a lady's horror. Irina's frequent eye contact provided him some companionship as she delicately ate some of the safer foods of cheese, dried meats, and bread.

"Remain focused," Zakarus whispered behind his champagne flute.

"I am. Have you not noticed how I can be continuously amiable with these ladies who—Konrik Loren and Korak Fallyn." Irina effortlessly transitioned from sarcasm to felicitous greetings on seeing their hosts approach.

Zakarus smiled, providing them a welcoming nod.

"Suzera Irina, it is by pure serendipity we meet," Konrik Loren gushed. "It always seems unlikely to find the person one seeks within a crowded place, but I just followed our connection, and here you are! My meditative practices truly are progressing nicely."

Korak Fallyn smirked and leaned towards her brother. "Not now, brother."

"That sounds lovely. The festivities are beautiful." Irina smiled, motioning towards the room.

The Preenians managed to do something right. Irina found the small ice sculptures, bare branches, and winter flowers—well, she assumed that they were winter flowers, beautiful. She never cared to learn the differences between flowers. If asked, Konrik Loren would have happily educated her. Unfortunately, the ballroom had tested her enough for the evening.

Another small gasp and scream happened behind them.

"Use this to help," a lady said to her friend.

Irina glanced at Zakarus as he pressed his lips together, and his shoulders slightly shook. Fallyn's voice brought them back to the conversation.

"Thank you," Konra Fallyn smiled, turning to her brother.

Konrik Loren stared off into the corner of the room. Irina followed his gaze to see a lady with plaited blonde hair offer a group of ladies refills of wine using a jug. Fallyn cleared her throat, causing Loren to turn his attention back to the group. Loren's confused glance transitioned to understanding when Fallyn tilted her head slightly towards Irina.

"Ah—yes. My sister is occupied for the first dance by the head of our guard, leaving my hand requiring a partner. Suzera Irina, would you honor me with your hand for the first dance this evening?" Loren asked with a slight bow of his head.

Irina smiled and fell into a small curtsy. "It would be my honor, Konrik Loren."

"Oh, wonderful. My spirit can become tranquil again. Now my sister and I must go lighten other spirits," he hurriedly stated.

Irina would have been insulted if she had not already been aware of the ladies behind them lamenting over their stained dresses. A sudden unease went from her heart to her stomach. Something was not right. Irina willed her eyebrows not to furrow as Zakarus cleared his throat with more force than required.

Shaed. A voice hissed to her. She took a sharp intake of breath and tightened the hold on her flute of champagne. Irina felt panic but could not place why. She felt a sudden need to run from the room and meditate somewhere to clear the feeling or gain clarity on it.

Zakarus's voice brought her back to the ballroom. "Do not be so forlorn, Iri."

"I am not," she hissed back. Irina took a large sip of her white wine to steady her nerves.