Part 10: Carriage rides and lessons

Amnicity did not find the beginnings of her grand diplomatic mission enjoyable. She thought a carriage would be somehow romantic on a long journey.  Instead, the four walls seemed to become smaller as each moment passed.

Lady Toria's incessant questioning concerning the hues of furs transitioned to a discussion about the detailing she wished to add to her accessories. It made the princess wonder if her lady thought of anything else. Then, Lady Elry would the silence, from Lady Toria finally taking a breath, with an impromptu quiz concerning Preenian customs.

To Amnicity's horror, Lady Elry even became proficient upon the new religious ideas of the Preenian royal family. Not that they are new, Lady Elry had quickly corrected the misnomer by relating their understanding of spirits to the land's indigenous people.

The princess's exasperation could not be kept from her face.   They had stopped to stay at some Lord's house the evening before, and Amnicity had been thankful for a moment of silence within the confines of her own room.  Her ladies required society, and the Princess hoped, for her own sanity, they found some form of diversion, other than questioning her, in Preena.

"You need to practice your diplomacy," Lady Elry sighed, placing her book to the side. "All of this knowledge will be of no use if you cannot even last through one conversation that is not to your liking."

Amnicity pressed her lips together before speaking.  "I have survived many conversations that are not to my preference. If you were not aware, it is part of being a princess."

And your student. Amnicity finished within her head with a small smirk.

Lady Elry shook her head as Lady Toria sniffed away her amusement.

"Is excessively beaded gloves part of being a princess as well?" Lady Toria's eyebrow rose almost mockingly.

"Only the most important ones," Lady Elry smirked.

"Oh," Lady Toria nodded. "Then it is good I am here."

"It is the truth. You both are being cruel," Amnicity muttered.  "I mean, how likely is it that there will be a conversation regarding the reasoning behind why the Konra decided to discontinue the bear ceremonies?"

"You miss the point of knowledge, Princess Amnicity.  It is about understanding your audience.  There is a short distance between biting humor and disrespect. Without adequate knowledge, you could easily fall into the area of disrespect."

"There is also little distance between annoyance and anger," Amnicity muttered.

"An even better reason to tether your tongue," Lady Elry noted.

Amnicity decided it best to put the advice into immediate practice by ignoring Lady Elry.  She turned her focus to Lady Toria. At the moment, Lady Toria's fingers worked upon a glove. The tediousness of such an occupation tired Amnicity. Yet, for Ophie Toria, it seemed to provide peace.

The sliding movement of the needle through the fabric provided a way for Ophie to find peace. The fabric had no expectations. There were no extended discussions on matches or how she could extend the family's power. The most fabric would wish of her is to accessorize it properly. 

"Princess, I think a dark fur will accent your dresses better than a lighter fur. It is truly up to Your Highness, but it is always my wish for the accessories to make a statement."

"What does dark fur state?" Lady Elry queried.

"That Princess Amnicity is not afraid to diverge from the guidelines of color hues demanded of her," Lady Toria responded, observing the detailing upon the glove. "If the Princess is to offend someone inadvertently, it should be with proper style."