Part 7: Whisky and Swords (Part 2)

Zakarus slowed his pace when he reached the outside of two large wooden doors.

"Stop running away, Koman," Irina's voice called with the teasing tone that made Shaed growl.

Zak smirked on hearing the familiar sound.

"Suzerain," the young guard bowed, opening the door.

"How has it gone?" Zakarus leaned to look inside.

"Suzera Irina fights with a passion that Koman Sutter matches."

Zakarus nodded at the political correctness of his statement, observing the battle in progress. Irina stood in pants, smirking at Shaed. When they were younger, he would find her bartering a stolen bottle of whisky for three pairs in the morning before everyone awoke. Then she would use another bottle of whisky to get them laundered three days later.

"Where did she obtain the pants?" Zakarus asked.

"Suzera Irina—"

Zakarus mentally stocked his favorite bottles. "Did she bring a bottle of whisky?"

"No, Suzerain. Suzera Irina is a lady who would never do such a thing," the guard scoffed with a rising, confused tone at Suzerain Zakarus' snort.

"She ordered Soldier Eden to stand behind the line and remove his pants. All the soldiers then turned their backs. When we turned back, she cut off her skirt with the blade and had replaced the skirt with pants. Soldier Eden is currently wrapped in the skirt, waiting for the moment he can put on new pants," the guard reported to the amused chuckle of Zakarus.

"On the top shelf of the cabinet in my study, there is a bottle of whisky with a black label. See that he receives it," Zakarus ordered, entering the room.

The whisky should help soften the jibes of how the gentleman had the hips of a lady. Well, that would be what Zakarus would tell Shaed if they replaced these men.

The air in Zakarus' lips hissed out at the same moment as Irina's when Shaed made a small slash to her leg.

"You have let your guard down. Has all the needlework reduced your abilities, my lady?" Shaed taunted, already on the defensive.

Zakarus looked around at the soldiers. Only a few observed the battle with interest. I cannot allow these men to remain idiots. Zakarus's eyes narrowed as he turned back to the battle.

"Look at the fire within Suzera Irina's eyes," Zakarus instructed.

Sounds of heals moving to a more alert position could be heard from the soldiers standing at attention around Irina and Shaed.

"Look at the feet of your Koman," Zakarus continued. "He is ready to attack or defend based upon Suzera Irina's next move. To attack would tire him quicker, but to wait would cause his opponent further fatigue. You must be ready if you wish to survive and serve your suzerains with pride!"

Irina clenched her teeth, changing the positioning of her legs. This would not be her strongest moment, but she would find a way to adapt for victory. Shaed could not win.

The two stood facing one another. Heavy breaths and the sound of Zakarus's steady pace increased the edge of Irina's nerves.

Zakarus smirked when Irina kicked her slippers behind her. Shaed did not comment. A sure sign of how both were concentrating on defeating the other.

If Zakarus had watched Shaed's eyes closely, he would have seen the small glances made towards Irina's waistline where the frayed top met her pants. There, Shaed could see the letter secured within the belt. His eyes narrowed for a moment.