Part 14: Love and Protect (Part I)

Amnicity decided she hated traveling long distances in carriages. She determined long carriage rides to be romanticized in books, possibly written by a hermit, who had no understanding of how the holes in the ground put bruises on one's bottom. 

Perhaps we can improve the roads.  Make it as part of the updates for Tillen, or even just a matter of state.  Better roads would improve commerce.  Perhaps we should make a note for the next meeting.  Amnicity thought as her eyes drifted across the carriage to Lady Elry, who currently looked over a letter.  But not right now.

The depth of the Tillen update made Amnicity refrain from asking Lady Elry any more questions than necessary. She almost wished she had taken up Lady Toria's task of detailing a new frock instead of listening about starvation and death counts. Flashes of her mother dying amongst the people would randomly surface as Lady Elry spoke of Tillen.  The dark cloud that hovered right behind her main thoughts would rush forward before someone would say something to ease it back into a fog.  The worried eyes of Lady Elry and Lady Toria made Amnicity wonder if they knew the darkness churning lingering inside her.

Amnicity shifted her eyes towards the window. High General Lessure remained outside somewhere, riding high upon his horse. The horrid man had made of taking an apple from the food reserves when Amnicity glanced at him during their departure preparations. She could not stand him any longer and immediately tasked High General Ettore and Sir Henry with reviewing the kingdom's finances and the state of their recruits.  Amnicity did not trust the High General's Council, apart from High General Ettore, and needed them heavily monitored moving forward.

"What part are you gloating about now?" Lady Toria questioned, eyeing Her Highness while pulling the needle through a piece of cloth.

Amnicity leaned her head back against the pillow and closed her eyes with a smile.  "The part where fear spilled from his eyes at the thought of me handling the finances."

"After he took a bite of the apple?" Lady Toria almost growled.

"The very scene," Amnicity whispered in happiness.

Lady Toria's laughter filled the carriage.  "Oh, that was—"

"Not enough for security," Lady Elry interrupted, placing the paper on her lap. "You must be aware of your limitations. The Princess is in a great place of power, but the King's approval is still needed to take things away. Her Highness cannot simply throw about words without being able to provide actions to support them."

Amnicity's head shot up as she glared at Lady Elry.  "Do you dare limit my power?"

"Does the Princess dare to believe herself more powerful than the King?"  Lady Elry's eyebrow raised in a way the made Amnicity pout.

"I never would presume such heresy," Amnicity muttered. "I do not want to be caught unaware because if I am not vigilant, my death could be next."

The three sat in silence as they bumped along in the carriage.  Lady Toria bit her lip while staring at the princess.  

"Kill you?" Lady Toria scoffed.  "Not when you bring food while wearing one of my creations."  

Amnicity smirked at Lady Toria.  Lady Elry looked between the two women before nodding quickly.

"Yes—yes," Lady Elry nodded.  "No one would dare touch you, and if they tried, we could have Lady Toria somehow sew some light chainmail into your garments."

"But, we cannot tell the High Generals," Lady Toria sighed.  "I can just imagine Lessure's comments."

"It is not becoming of a lady to protect herself," Amnicity scoffed in a male voice.