Part 19: The Engagement Part 1

Zakarus whispered greetings and practiced intonations lowly in the corner of the carriage. Irina could not fault him. Her cousin would not be human if he did not show some form of nervousness prior to meeting his betrothed. Not that he should be concerned regarding her rejection. The actions he had taken meant Princess Amnicity could do nothing but marry him. From what Z had mentioned, his concern revolved more around how she would handle the choice being taken from her. Irina had been slightly shocked at his insight. This of course then turned to how King Valander would regard him. Zakarus wanted to rule the territories of Jude and Vetus entirely.

"Not everyone will love me, but they will respect me."

Irina smiled slightly. The days had gone so quickly that she sometimes failed to acknowledge how much strength her cousin had shown within them.

The hall became quiet when Zakarus entered that afternoon. His mannerism were enough to halt the speech of Koman Ive upon the state of their arms.

"I have received a letter from King Valander of Vetus."

Immediately the hall began to whisper. Not only had the young Suzerain shown disrespect by not waiting for his father to acknowledge him, but he also had been in contact with the man they were to go to war with. Irina could already hear the whispers of people choosing sides. Her eyes subtly found the few komans she knew to be loyal to her.

"We have already discussed your failure in the area of political relations, son."

"King Valander accepted my proposal of marriage to Princess Amnicity."

The whispers sounded around the hall. Komans subtly moved to be in better position if a choice had to be made.

Irina relished the slight change in Abran's appearance. Part of her hoped he would choose the path of destruction at this moment. She had dreamed of his abrupt departure from this life for too long.

"You trust a man in mourning?"

A few snorts could be heard from the komans loyal to Abran as they tried to muffle their laughter. For many, Zakarus would always be a young boy and never a man.

"Did you not ask the same of the komans many years ago?"

Soft sounds of steel could be heard. Abran immediately raised his hand to quiet distress.

"Suzerain Zakarus, it appears you have forgotten who you are speaking to."

"We have not forgotten. You are my father, Suzerain Abran. The one who sacrificed for Jude so that we could be united. Now, as, your son, Suzerain Zakarus, I ask for you to allow me to unite us with our neighbors without shedding blood."

Abran placed his chin upon his palm, observing his son. Irina glanced to her right where Shaed stood. His hand remained upon his sword.

"I cannot approve of this marriage. We cannot trust those who raid or borders and then blame us."

Zakarus nodded his head.

"I respect your decision father. Unfortunately, I cannot let it stand. Jude requires someone who can trust."

A flicker of a smile tinted Abran's face.

"You challenge me?"

"For Jude."

"Have you not learned? It is always for Jude."

Irina unconsciously reached for Shaed to steady herself. This could be either one of the visions that accompanied her sleep. She hoped it to be her dream. Irina prayed this would be her dream. She hated the results in her nightmare.